Irish derivation: Ó Riain
Name meaning: "Descendant of Rían (little red one/little king disputed)"
Counties associated with the name: Carlow, Tipperary, Limerick
Coat of arms motto: "I would rather die than be disgraced"
- It is just as popular a first name as it is a surname.
- The other major Ryan root is that deriving from Rian, the mid-10th century King of the territory Ui Cinsealaigh in South Leinster.
Some famous Ryans:
- Francis T. Ryan (1862 - 1927, American Medal of Honor recipient)
- Harold M. Ryan (1911-2007, US Representative from Michigan)
- Gerry Ryan (1956-2010, Irish radio personality)
- Meg Ryan (1961, American actress)
- Rex Ryan (1962, NY Jets head coach)
- TJ Ryan (1876-1921, Premier of Queensland)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: