Irish derivation: Ó Raghallaigh.
Name meaning: "Descendant of Reilly (extroverted one)."
Counties associated with the name: Cavan, Longford, Meath, Westmeath, Fermanagh, and Monaghan.
Coat of arms motto: "With fortitude and prudence."
- Increasingly becoming a popular first name in the US.
- The O'Reillys were the most powerful sept of the old Gaelic kingdom of Breffny (Cavan and the surrounding counties), and the family is still prominent in the area.
Some famous O'Reillys:
- Bill O'Reilly (b.1949, American commentator and television show host of "The O'Reilly Factor" on the Fox News Channel
- John O'Reilly (Leader of The Saint Patrick's Battalion of Mexico)
- Sidney Reilly (1874–1925, Russian-British spy)
- Tony O'Reilly (b.1936, Irish billionaire businessman)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: