Famed Irish writer Oscar Wilde (1854-1900) had a way with words that few Irishmen have matched. Today, on the 116th anniversary of his death, we celebrate his legacy wth his top ten best sayings.
1. “Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much.”
2. “I can resist everything but temptation.”
3. “What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."
4. “True friends stab you in the front.”
5. “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about.”
6. “One of us has to go.” (On his death bed looking at some dreadful wallpaper.)
7. “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.”
8. “The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything.”
9. “The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.”
10. “We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
11. To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
** From The Little Green Book of Irish Wisdom Edited by Dermot McEvoy, Skyhorse Publishing.