World's wackiest St. Patrick's Day celebrations
World's largest St. Patrick’s Day parade:
The New York parade has become the largest Saint Patrick's Day parade in the world. In a typical year, 150,000 marchers participate in it, including bands, firefighters, military and police groups, county associations, emigrant societies, and social and cultural clubs, and two million spectators line the streets
World’s oldest St. Patrick’s Day parade:
The New York celebration is the oldest and largest St. Patrick's Day Parade in the world. The parade dates back to 1762,
World's longest celebration of St. Patrick’s Day
Montserrat in the Caribbean
In the 17th Century, Irish Catholic indentured servants were welcomed to the tiny volcanic island of Montserrat at a time when they were shunned in most other English-controlled islands of the Caribbean. The Irish mixed freely with the African slaves brought to work the English sugar plantations, and a unique Afro-Irish culture developed.
Some say St. Patrick's Day is a bigger deal in the U.S. than it is in Ireland, but Montserrat may top them both. The St. Patrick's festivities here go on for a solid week. In fact, Montserrat is the only nation in the world other than Ireland that considers St. Patrick's Day a national holiday.
St. Patrick's Week in Montserrat includes parades featuring costumed revelers wearing green shamrocks, concerts with calypso, soca, and iron band music, church services and dinners, and a special March 17 commemoration of an attempted slave revolt in 1768. You'll find Guinness on tap in the bars, hints of Irish cookery in the national dish (a stew called 'goat water'), and lots of Irish surnames among the people.
World's newest St. Patrick’s Day celebration:
This year the Irish and Africans in Accra in Ghana are getting into the act with a St. Patrick's celebration. Irish aid workers will use the funds raised to help bring water to rural villages.
World's Weirdest St. Patrick's Day event:
Until recently San Francisco featured a snake race involving real snakes racing each other in their celebration, A recent winner was named Window Viper, I'm boa-ed was second.
World's largest shamrock
In Nebraska, the world's largest shamrock is painted on the road in the town of O'Neill, which is the Irish capital of Nebraska. Every year they install a huge blarney stone at the corner of the Shamrock and have many festivities, including a public reading of the book, "Green Eggs and Ham."
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...