The strangest places to stay on vacation in Ireland (PHOTOS)
From a light House in Co. Antrim to an ecolodge in Co. Sligo
1. Blackhead Light keepers House, Belfast Lough, Co Antrim
This famous lighthouse is situated on the North Shore of Belfast Lough. Perched on the edge of a cliff the maritime builing offers visitors spectacular panoramic views. The lighthouse was built in the glory days of Belfast’s shipping. Lighthouses are some of the best examples of self catering accommodation out there!
2. Inis Turk Beg, Clew Bay, Co Mayo
Inish Turk Beg which translates to "small island of the wild boar" is a private island in Clew Bay, Co. Mayo in the west of Ireland. Infrstructure on the island was developed by Nadim Sadek, an Irish-Egyptian marketing entrepreneur, who later sold the island. According to MyHome.ie Inishturk Beg covers 65 acres with as many as 5 island house, a pier, floating marina and magnificent main residence.
3. Salterbridge Gatelodge in Co. Wexford
Salterbridge Gatelodge is a classically proportioned pavilion lodge located in the glorious Blackwater Valley. It was built in 1849 by the Chearnley family. Historically families put great effort into the building and design of gate lodges as they gave an impression of the grandeur of the main house.
4. Gyreum Ecolodge, Corlisheen, Riverstown, Co. Sligo
The Gyreum is hostel-style accommodation with an ecodifference. Overlooking Lough Arrow , wind turbines heat the hot water and geothermal heat from the ground heats the Gyreum space. The Gyreum ‘s star attractions are its central hall, extraordinary views across 5 counties and its ever evolving eco imprint. The alternative lodge was Ireland's first ecolodge to be awarded the EU Eco-Label for tourist accommodation
5. Schoolhouse at Annaghmore, Collooney, Co Sligo
Built in the 1860s for the education of children of the tenants of Annaghmore Estate, on the banks of Owenmore river . The Schoolhouse, Annaghmore is an attractive rural building picturesquely located by the Owenmore River and surrounded by mature woodland. The selfcatering accommodation comprises two double bedrooms and two bathrooms with a bath upstairs and shower downstairs.
6. Ballyfin Demesne, Ballyfin, Co. Laois
Ballyfin Demesne has long been admired as the most lavish Regency mansion in Ireland, and now as a 5 star luxury country house hotel. The boutique hotel is set at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains in the centre of Ireland.
7. Batty Langley Lodge, Castletown Demesne, Leixlip, Co Kildare
An elegant two storey building with seven stone pinnacles, Batty Langley Lodge was designed to be viewed from the River Walk below as part of the planned landscape surrounding the world famous Palladian Castletown House.
8. Clomantagh Castle, Co.Kilkenny
Clomantagh Castle is part of a unique settlement of tower house, farmhouse and bawn, in Freshford County Kilkenny. The tower (1430s) and the farmhouse (early 1800s) are linked by doors allowing guests to wander freely between two periods of history. The castle can sleep can sleep ten guests
9. Loop Head Lightkeepers House Kilbaha, Co Clare
Perched proudly on an enclosure at the tip of Loop Head stands the lighthouse station. Surrounded by birds and wild flowers, cliffs and Atlantic surf, Loop Head offers holiday accommodation with all of the spectacular appeal of the rugged west coast. However guests should bring bottled water as there is no mains water supply.
10. Helens Tower, Clandeboye Estate, Bangor, Co Down
Helen’s Tower was designed in 1848 by William Burn in the Scottish style and construction was completed in October 1861. The tower is perched high above the rolling hills of Co Down, is an enchanting three storey stone tower nestled deep in the woods of the Clandeboye Estate. Standing on top of the world with panoramic views of the surrounding landscape, one can see as far as distant Scottish shores from the top of Helen's Tower.
For more information about the historical properties listed here visit Irish Landmark.com
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...