Top ten great Irish Halloween costume ideas -- get prepped to impress
Express your Irish spirit without resorting to a “slutty leprechaun” or “leprechaun pimp” costume
Take your cue from Gary Oldman in Francis Ford Coppola’s 90s hit “Bram Stoker’s Dracula.”
The top hat, the dark downward-slanted glasses, the long black jacket – the outfit is rather simple.
As far as your looks, all you’ll need is a long, dark wig, a mustache , bright red contacts and long fingernails, and voila! You’re the Irishman’s vampire!
PHOTOS - 10 Irish Halloween costume ideas
5. Old Irish nun
Now for the ladies out there looking to get in the Irish Halloween spirit, one costume option is the mean, old Irish nun.
Looking as old and cranky as humanly possible is key, here.
Otherwise, buy yourself a traditional nun costume, a ridiculous pair of reading glasses and a ruler, and you should be set.
To really give it that Irish touch, practice your Irish accent – it will have a much scarier effect when you shout at people for being naughty children!
6. Irish mammy
Another option for a woman (or a man) is dressing up as the classic Irish mammy.
What’s this, you might ask?
For those of you who are “Father Ted” fans, just think Mrs. Doyle.
The trick is to don a thick sweater, a long skirt and an apron, and continuously offer your guests tea and sandwiches. Remember: the Irish mammy does NOT take “no” for an answer! Just “go on” them to death until they take you up on your offer.
Read more on our featured Halloween page - everything from history, recipes, costume ideas and ghoulish tales
7. Fr. Ted or Fr. Jack
There are other great characters to rip off from the classic Irish sitcom “Father Ted,” the title character being one of them.
Get yourself a priest’s collar, pepper that hair until it’s gray and you’re set.
If an extreme costume is more your idea of a good Halloween, then transform into Father Jack.
Blacken your teeth, white out one eye, work on that old man scruff and fluff out your thinning white hair until it looks like you’ve been electrocuted, and you’ll have it!
Be sure to be as violent, drunk and foul-mouthed as possible throughout the night.
8. The Commitments
If you’re looking to dress up as a group, why not get together and become The Commitments?
Ireland’s most famous fictional band consists of both guys and girls, so invite the whole gang!
The idea here is 90s Dublin soul. Guys, dress in black dapper suits, but feel free to rock that mullet. Girls, slip dig out that tight, lacey black dress from your 1992 closet and tease up that hair.
Grab a few musical instruments and bicker constantly with each other.
To really impress ’em, bust out an incredibly soulful rendition of “Mustang Sally.”
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Engaged couple fired by Catholic school for...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
- Irishman planning Christmas trip home dies in Boston construction accident...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...