Talk like an Irish person, top sayings for a night on the town
Tips for meeting and greeting folks on a night out in that undeniably Irish style
Have you always wanted to talk like an Irish person, but weren’t sure how to pull it off?
Use these handy tips for a night out to blend in with the local lingo. Whether you’re on vacation in Ireland, or just down your local Irish bar, these choice phrases taken from the Irish Conversation Guide will give you the gift of the gab.
1. Popular greetings for when you meet your friends
How’s the craic?
How’s the form?
How’re ya keepin’?
How’re ye lads?
2. Greetings for when you are about to eat
I’m starved with the hunger.
I’d eat the back door buttered.
It is going down well?
I'm so hungry I'd eat a nun's backside through a convent gate.
3. Compliments for the food
That meal was very tasty!
The lickings of the pan is all that's left Mam
4. Some conversation starters for the bar
You’re not a local, I take it?
Where ya from at all?
You’re new around these parts?
5. Some chat up lines for the bar
You’re looking well.
You’ve a lovely pair of eyes.
You’ve great teeth, are they your own?
6. Buying someone a drink
What are you having?
Will ya have a pint?
Will ya have a hot half one (a hot whiskey)?
7. When someone tries to go home early.
Take it easy, what’s your rush?
Sit yourself down, take the weight of your feet.
8. Inviting someone on a date
Would you fancy a quick one (a drink) some other time?
Are ya on for a pint?
A few pints wouldn’t go astray at all?
Will we go for a few scoop?
9. Bidding someone farewell for the night
Is that the time? I’ll be seeing you.
I’ll be heading off now, but sure I’ll bump into you again some time!
Twas nice talking to ya, good luck and God bless!
10. Explaining your hangover the next morning.
I’m in a heap!
I’m in an awful way.
I’m as sick as a small hospital.
I ‘m as stiff as a poker.
For a humorous insight into how to speak like the Irish, check out Tadhg Hayes' book Gift of the Gab.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...