Top Irish baby names in America
Looking for an Irish name? We've got them all here!
Aidan, Brayden, Colin, Riley; Kayla, Morgan, Megan, Kaitlyn - you've probably come across a newborn in the past decade with at least one of these names.
What do they all have in common? These top names in the U.S. all have Irish roots!
For example, the trendy name "Aidan" is the Anglicization of the Gaelic word Aodhán, meaning "little fire," while "Kayla" is a modern creation inspired by the Irish man’s name Cadhla, meaning "slender."
If you're an expectant parent looking for an Irish name, or you just want to figure out what your own means, you've come to the right place.
We've done all the hard work of gathering the top Irish names in America into one place. All you have to do is sit back and choose one, or two...
Ryan: Anglicization of the Irish surname Ó Ríain, meaning "descendent of the little king"
Brandon: Anglicization of Breanainn, which possibly means "sword.” Also an English surname meaning “hill top”
Logan: From the Irish surname O’Loughan, which is often mistranslated to mean “duck,” which is actually from the Gaelic word “lacha”
Austin: Anglicization of the name Aghaistín, the Irish form of Augustine, a Latin name meaning “great” or “magnificent”
Kevin: Anglicization of the Irish name Caoimhín, meaning “beautiful birth”
Connor: Modern form of the Irish name Conchobhar, meaning “dog lover.” Usually spelled Conor in Ireland
Kyle: Anglicization of the Irish word “coil” meaning “woods.” More commonly used in Scotland, where it is from a place name meaning "narrow.”
Aidan: Anglicization of Aodhán, meaning “little fire”
Brian: Anglicization of the Irish name Brion, meaning “noble”
Sean: Irish form of John, which means “gift from God”
Owen: Usually a Welsh name. It can be an Anglicization of the Irish names Eoin (form of John) and Eoghan, meaning “born of the yew”
Cody: Anglicization of the Irish surname of Norman origin, Mac Óda, meaning “descendent of Otto”
15 - 53 | See all comments
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...