Learn about Ireland at the best Irish studies programs in North America
Irish Studies programs at North American universities is a growing trend
Clare Carroll, Director
MANHATTANVILLE COLLEGE - Irish Studies
Location: Purchase, N.Y.
Program: Undergraduate Minor
The Irish Studies Undergraduate Program offers an interdisciplinary minor in the history and culture of Ireland and the Irish Diaspora, from the early Christian period to the present. Contemporary trends underscore the extraordinarily diverse character that Irish Studies has assumed in the last two decades. The aim of the program is to provide the student with a comprehensive appreciation of the Irish experience through a range of courses drawn from different disciplines and reflecting the richness and complexity of this field of study.
Irene Whelan, Director
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON - Celtic Studies Program
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Program: Undergraduate Certificate
The Celtic Studies Program is a regular unit of the College of Letters and Science at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. Celtic Studies is a multidisciplinary field encompassing the history and culture of those peoples who presently inhabit the northwestern perimeter of Europe, including Ireland (both north and south), Scotland, Wales, Brittany and the Isle of Man. The Program's mission is to facilitate the integrated examination of these various fields and topics. The Program offers an undergraduate Certificate in Celtic Studies.Undergraduates can also major in Celtic Studies under the provisions of the individual major program.
Mary Bowles, Director
VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY - Irish Studies
Location: Villanova, Pennsylvania
Program: Undergraduate Concentration
The Undergraduate Concentration in Irish Studies is available to students in all degree programs. Villanova Irish Studies explores the history and culture of the Irish people from different perspectives — literature, history, art, politics and folklore. Interested students may also study in Ireland either in a Semester Abroad program or with the Villanova in Ireland Summer program at NUI Galway.
James Murphy, Program Advisor
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...