Learn about Ireland at the best Irish studies programs in North America
Irish Studies programs at North American universities is a growing trend
For the New York community, they present a weekly public events series during the academic year, as well as a monthly traditional Irish music series.
Joe Lee, Chair & Director
CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY - Center for Irish Studies
Location: Washington D.C.
Program: Master’s Degree
Irish studies at Catholic University has been present for over a century: the university established the first professorship devoted to teaching the Irish language in 1896. They offer an interdisciplinary Master’s degree in Irish Studies. The interdisciplinary nature of the program gives students the opportunity to take a range of courses from various university departments, as well as a semester-long Parliamentary Internship in Dublin.
Christina Hunt-Mahony, Acting Director
UNIVERSITY OF ST. THOMAS HOUSTON - Center for Irish Studies
Location: Houston, TX
Program: Undergraduate Minor, Graduate Concentration
On January 23, 2003, the Center for Irish Studies opened in the Link Lee Mansion. Today the Center for Irish Studies resides at 4110 Mt. Vernon on the UST campus. In its short history, the Center for Irish Studies has made its mark by offering a wide range of cultural events to the University community and the community at large as well as a broad array of academic courses in Irish Studies, both on campus and in Ireland.
Lori Meghan Gallagher, J.D., Director
CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY - Center for Canadian Irish Studies
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Program: Canadian Irish Studies Undergraduate Minor, Graduate Certificate
The Center for Canadian Irish Studies was created in 2000 through the joint financial support of Concordia University and the Canadian Irish Studies Foundation. Its mandate is to promote a fuller understanding of Ireland and the Irish experience in Canada. The Center coordinates a Minor and a Certificate in Canadian Irish Studies, an annual public lecture series by scholars and distinguished figures in Irish cultural life, scholarships in Canadian Irish Studies and special outreach projects of interest both to academics and the Irish community in Canada.
Michael Kenneally, Director
QUEENS COLLEGE - Irish Studies
Location: Flushing, NY
Program: Undergraduate Minor, Possible Interdisciplinary Major
The Undergraduate Irish Studies minor at Queens College is intended for all students interested in the study of the rich and varied cultures of Ireland. For students majoring in English, Comparative Literature, History or Political Science, the Minor in Irish Studies provides a way for students to do intensive study in Irish culture- including the Irish language, Anglo-Irish literature, archaeology, film studies, and history. Students interested in an interdisciplinary major in Irish Studies (through Interdisciplinary and Special Studies) can consult with the Director of Irish Studies.
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Dubliner found guilty of vicious Temple Bar...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Did Catholic Church insistence on English...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...