Proverbs and sayings: The Irish have a way with words
The Irish have a way with words as we all know. The following is a sample of sayings and proverbs that have lasted for generations. They are taken from a book called Timeless Wisdom available at www.ucdpress.ie
The Demon Drink
If Holy Water was beer he'd be at mass every morning
Whiskey when you're sick makes you well, whiskey when you're well makes you sick
Wine drowns more men than water
You've never seen a collection for a needy publican
The drunk will soon have daylight in through the rafters
A man in need of a drink thinks of great schemes to get it
Drink is a curse-- it makes you shoot at your landlord --and miss him
Before you call for one for the road be sure you know the road
A widow and her money are soon courted
A young man is bothered till he's married after that he's bothered all the time
If a man is in love he is no judge of beauty but when love wears off he'll tell a woman about her warts
Marriage changes a man and makes the woman who changed him complain about him not being the same man she married
Sweet is the voice for a woman of a man who has wealth
If you love her in rags your love will last
A silent mouth is the sweetest sound
Empty and cold is a house without a woman
Health to the men but may the women live forever
There is hope from the sea but none from the graveyard
A poor man's tale is rarely heard
Better to go to bed supperless than to rise in debt
Contentment is greater than a kingdom
The three strongest forces, fire, water and hatred
Three sharpest eyes, a blacksmith on a nail, a priest on his parish, a young girl on a boy
Hope is the cure for all misery
Everyone is an expert until they speak
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.
- President Obama urges all of Northern Ireland...
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- All Ireland Winners of the 2013 Irish Restaurant Awards...
- Two Irish chefs launch new All-Ireland Culinary tours business...
- Irish restaurant critic Ross Golden-Bannon launches pop-up artisan eatery...
- "First Woman Bishop" elected as one of Ireland's four main church leaders - VIDEO...
- Irish chefs Zack Gallagher and Wendy Kavanagh start new all-Ireland culinary tour business...