Get to know the lingo - A simple guide to modern Irish slang
Flahulach, gollier, bowsie, and eejit - an easy guide to some of the best Irish phrases
Going on vacation to Ireland this summer? Do you really want to stand out in the crowds this year? You do? Sure. Who doesn’t?
Then why not try learning some Irish slang. And we have a list to help get you started thanks to the Murphy/Odea classic 'The book of feckin’ Irish Slang: that’s great craic for cute hoors and bowsies'.
bags (n) - A botched job (also see “hames”)
Eg: That guy made a right bags of me corned beef and cabbage.
Bowsie(n)- Person (esp. male) of very disreputable character. A useless good-for-nothing?
Eg: Hey, that Bowsie totally just cut me in the bathroom line.
Bollixed (adj) (see fluthered, gee-eyed, rat-arsed) - Somewhat in excess of the legal alcohol driving limit.
Eg:I think thats my last Baileys dude. I am way bollixed
Chisseler (n) - young child
I cant believe Snooky has a chisseler on the way.
Cute hoor (n) - suspiciously resourceful gentleman
Eg: Speaking from his villa in the Alps, the cute hoor denied making any payments to politicna for favorable contracts.
Donkeys years (n) - Inordrdinately long amount of time. An epoch. A time memorial.
Eg: I haven’t marched in a parade in donkey’s years.
Fanny (n) - Females genitals
(Not a woman’s rear as usually assumed. Take note)
Flahulach (adj) (pronounced Flah-hule-uck) - generous
Eg: Wow. You left a tip. You must be feeling rather flaulach today.
Gaff (n) - Home. Place of residence.
Eg: Thats some pretty fancy gaff you got there with that yard and those trees.
Ganky (n) - repulsive, ugly
Eg: This green corned beef is rather ganky.
Gollier (n)- A mass of phglem expelled from mouth at high speed.
Eg: Watch it man! You just got a gollier in my beer.
Gurrier (n) - Hooligan. Ruffian. Delinquent.
Eg: Hey I think I’ve spotted the Gurrier who ran off with my kids shamrock balloon.
Heavin’ (adj) - Thoroughly packed.
Eg: Wow! O’Reillys is heavin’ tonight.
Hockeyed (v) - heavily deafeted
Eg: Is it me or are the New Jersey Nets hockeyed every night?
Hop (v) - Play truant from school.
Eg: Lets go the hop and see the parade in the city?
Jacks (n) - toilet, restroom
Eg: C’mon man hurry up. You’re not the only one who has to use the jacks pal.
Jo Maxi (n) - cab
Eg: I think you’re pretty bollixed. I’m calling you a Jo Maxi.
Me oul’ segotia (expression) - Term of endearment. My old flower.
Eg: I’ll see you at the parade with me oul’ segotia.
Mot (n) - girlfriend
Eg: Hey lay your damn hands off her Biff. She’s my mot.
- Irish university suspends Legion of Mary...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Top ten worst ever Irish Christmas gifts,...
- 4,000 Irish social welfare letters encourage...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Address by Nelson Mandela to Joint Houses...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...