Irish sayings, proverbs and prayers for St. Patrick's Day
Some of the most-famous words to ever come out of Ireland
St. Patrick was a gentleman
Who through strategy and stealth
Drove all the snakes from Ireland.
Here's toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good St. Patrick
And see all those snakes again.
May the enemies of Ireland never meet a friend.
An Irish method for tackling problems:
There comes a time when you must take the bull
By the tail and face the situation squarely.
May the leprechauns be near you,
To spread luck along your way.
And may all the Irish angels,
Smile upon you St. Patrick's Day.
May the joys of today
Be those of tomorrow.
The goblets of life
Hold no dregs of sorrow.
May the saddest day of your future be no worse
Than the happiest day of your past.
Health and a long life to you.
Land without rent to you.
A child every year to you.
And if you can?t go to heaven,
May you at least die in Ireland.
May you have:
No frost on your spuds,
No worms on your cabbage.
May your goat give plenty of milk.
And if you inherit a donkey,
May she be in foal.
May you live long,
And rate a mansion in heaven.
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.
May the luck of the Irish possess you.
May the devil fly off with your worries.
May God bless you forever and ever.
Ireland, sir, for good or evil,
No other place under Heaven.
And no man can touch its sod
Or breathe its air without becoming
Better or worse.
There are only two kinds of people in the world, The Irish
And those who wish they were.
You're not as young as you used to be.
You're not as old as you?re going to be.
So watch it!
Do not resent growing old.
Many are denied the privilege.
Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you expect.
And if anything can go wrong,
It will at the worst possible moment.
Here's to you and yours
And to mine and ours.
And if mine and ours
Ever come across to you and yours,
I hope you and yours will do
As much for mine and ours
As mine and ours have done
For you and yours!
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...