How to understand the Irish brogue
A guide to what they are really saying
"Don't worry about it, it's fine."
"Be God" (though no self-respecting Irish person says this in real life). This expression probably died out in Ireland by the 1950s. It was used as an exclamation.
This is a very common Irish expression that loosely means fun. However, it is especially used in relation to Ireland's pub culture, and in association with music. As in, "My God, we had some craic in the pub last night!" (We had a great time in the pub last night.) Other associated expressions include, "So what's the craic?" ("What's up?") "The craic was mighty!" ("It was a lot of fun!") "She is some craic on a night out" ("She is good fun when she goes out.")
An idiot. "He's a right eejit altogether." (He is a complete idiot.) In terms of offensiveness, this is very mild.
This simply means "well done." As in, "fair play to you for getting the job."
Farting around can basically be translated as "goofing around."
"God, I didn't get a thing done at work all day to day - I was farting around the whole time"
When Irish person uses "do" as a noun, as in "a do," this refers to a party or a gathering.
"It was some do they put on last night, wasn't it?"
"Go on outta that"
Literally means, "Go on out of that" and translates as "No way!" or, "Get out of here"
Frank: "So I scored four goals at the game last week."
Jim: "Go on outta that! You did not score four goals at the game."
A mildly offensive term for an idiot.
How's the form?
"How are you?" To which you might reply, "I'm in great form, thanks." Can also be used in the sense, "He was in awfully bad form last night." ("He was bad humored last night.")
They're only saying goodbye, they're not actually wishing you any sort of luck at all.
And for a good introduction into the proper usage of words like "feck", "bollocks" and "arse" , check out the above clip of the classic Irish sitcom, "Fr. Ted."
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...