Happy National Irish Coffee Day - here's the best spots in the US to try the warming Irish treat
From San Francisco to Boston and everywhere in between - wrap your hands around a little Irish
Coffee. Whiskey. Cream. Sugar. The ingredients are simple enough for the drink known the world over as Irish coffee.
Yet, like snowflakes, it seems that no two places serve the hot and sweet concoction exactly the same. That’s why we here at IrishCentral have compiled a list of the ten best places to grab an Irish coffee in the United States.
First a little Irish coffee history for you.
The first Irish coffee was served in Ireland in the 1940s at what is known today as Shannon Airport by the head chef Joseph Sheridan. Apparently Sheridan added whiskey to coffee to warm up passengers as they got off their Pan Am Flying Boat. When asked the name of this peculiar drink he replied “Irish coffee”.
The travel writer at the time for the San Fransisco chronicle, Stanton Delaplane, brought the recipe back to the states and namely to the Buena Vista Café in San Fransisco where the first Irish coffee was served on November 10th 1952.
To perfect the drink, Buena Vista bar owners worked with the town mayor to perfect the art of floating the cream on top of the coffee. They discovered that cream aged for more than 48 hours would work best.
The Irish coffee as we know it today was born.
Here are the best spots in the United States to grab an Irish coffee:
1. Buena Vista
2765 Hyde St (@ Beach)
San Francisco, CA 94109
2. Rochambo Coffee and Tea House
1317 East Brady Street
Milwaukee, WI 53202-1612
3. The Dubliner Irish Pub
Number 4 "F" Street,
Washington, D.C. 20001
4. Nearys Pub
358 E. 57th Street, New York, NY
5. Celtic Crossings
751 North Clark St.
Chicago, IL, 60451
312 337 1005
6. T.S. McHugh's Irish Pub
21 Mercer St.
Seattle, WA 98109
7. Black Rose
160 State St
(between India St & Chatham Row)
Boston, MA 02109
8. McGurk's Irish Pub
1200 Russell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 6310
9. McGuire's Irish Pub
600 E. Gregory St.
Pensacola, FL 32501-9971
10. Rula Bula Irish Pub
401 S. Mill Ave.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...