|Some of the 'boys' enjoying the banter at the Cara Club|As most people know, people from Cork are mad for Cork. Like, absolutely bonkers for it and proud of it! It should come as no surprise, that they have organized a ‘Cork Rebel Week’ in October 2013, to celebrate all things Cork for their part of The Gathering. In the run up to the event, they are issuing ‘Rebel passports’ to the ‘Leeaspora’ and ‘Leesiders’.
To get their hands on a Rebel Passport, Corkonians have to earn points by doing various tasks which promote the event. If you’re someone who lives abroad and is coming home to Cork though, all you need to do is provide proof of travel. So there’s no excuse not to visit the Rebel County this year!
See thejournal.ie for full article
ITN Greater Boston
Jean joined us from ITN Greater Boston at the Cara Club this week. ITN provides transport for seniors in the greater Boston area. Jean highlighted that ITN strive to provide a network with encourages safety, dignity and independence. For $60 a year you can become an ITN member, after this one is charged a pick up fee of $4 and $1.50 for every mile after. Although this may seem like an expensive service it offers seniors many perks.
· Membership based - persons 60 years and older and the visually impaired 21 years and older, are eligible to join
· Volunteer ran vehicles
· Affordable fares that are half the price of a comparable taxi ride
· Available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for any purpose
· Not "just a taxi" - drivers provide arm-through-arm, door-to-door service and help with packages and groceries
· No money is exchanged in the vehicle, and tips are not accepted
· Riders pre-fund a personal transportation account, and a monthly statement details all payments and charges
· Uses automobiles, rather than vans or buses
· Rides may be booked at any time, with discounts for advance notice
· Riders may travel alone or with others, with discounts for shared rides
For more information on how to volunteer or become a member
of ITNGreaterBoston, call 508-309-7375 or visit itngreaterboston.org
Volunteer Appreciation Dance
Join the IPC for a night of entertainment, May 18th at the Irish Social Club in West Roxbury to show our appreciation for some of our wonderful volunteers; Mai Gallagher, Mary Gardiner & Angela Durkin! Contact the IPC at 617.265.5300 for more information on tickets.
Please feel free to call Eileen at 617 265 5300 x 13 for more information on IPC Senior Citizen Outreach Program activities and services