Irish heavyweight Kevin “The Clones Colossus” McBride (34-6-1, 29 KOs) is considering a ring comeback after almost 2 1/2 years out of the squared circle.
The 36-year-old Brockton, Massachusetts-based fighter was a guest on the On the Ropes radio show last week, during which he recounted the circumstances around the signature win of his career, his sixth round stoppage of Mike Tyson on June 11, 2006.
Though he talked at length of the fight and the win, McBride also went on to say that, for one reason or another, things did not materialize as he would have liked in terms of big fights after the high profile win over the former undisputed champion of the world.
Over the course of his interview McBride mentioned several times that he still harbors the dream to be the new “Cinderella Man” of boxing and become the first Irish-born heavyweight champion of the world.
“Hopefully I can come back and get a few wins and make a bit of noise this year,” said the 6’6” fighter. “I believe I have the tools to accomplish my goal.”
When asked when he planned to lace up the glove again McBride said, “That is the multi-million dollar question. I don't have any dates for any fights. I had an injury in my wrist, but I am out running and trying to get in some shape.”
McBride went on to say that he is still managed by Jerry Quinn and is looking forward to getting back to fighting.
McBride was last in action when he fought heavyweight contender Andrew Golota at Madison Square Garden in October 2007. The 1992 Olympian started brightly but ran out of gas as the fight wore on.
After hurting Golota in the first round, McBride, who weighed in a career high 288 pounds for that fight, could not stop the Pole and as the bout progressed he tired rapidly.
In the sixth round, the Irishman shipped several unanswered blows and suffered a bad cut, after which referee Arthur Mercante Jr. stopped the fight.
At 36, whether McBride can even get into the shape needed to perform adequately as a pro at this stage of his career is a tough ask, but the Monaghan native said he still feels that his heavy hands have what it takes to make an impact in the division, even going so far as saying that he would be up for fighting either of the Klitschko brothers.
In other news, according to boxrec.com, Matthew Macklin (26-2, 18 KOs) will now defend his EBU middleweight against Khoren Gevor (31-4, 16 KOs) on April 16 in Birmingham.
Gevor, an Armenian-born, German-based fighter, is a former European champion himself and shares a win with Macklin over Amin Asikainen.
Gevor has challenged for the world title twice, losing a unanimous decision to Felix Sturm for the WBA title last July and losing to then IBF champion Arthur Abraham by 11th round knockout un August 2007.
Finally, Belfast light middleweight Neil Sinclair’s (33-8, 26 KOs) attempt to win the latest round of the Prizefighter competition in London ended at the first hurdle when he lost a close split decision after his three round fight with Bradley Pryce (29-8, 17 KOs), the same fighter he defeated in 2003 for the British welterweight title. Sinclair sustained a cut round his left eye after a clash of heads in the second round.
Video of teens singing Adele’s “Hello” in Irish goes viral (VIDEOS)