\"News

News from the 32

Weekly news from around the 32 counties of Ireland

\"News

News from the 32

ANTRIM

A giant toy modeling kit of the Titanic was unveiled last week on the site where the doomed liner was built almost a century ago. One hundred years after Belfast's ship builders put together the original vessel, scale replicas of its component parts have now returned to docks in the form of an innovative public artwork.

(Source: The Belfast Telegraph)        

 

CARLOW

Cocaine with an estimated street value of half a million euro was uncovered at an isolated farmyard in Carlow two weekends ago. Approximately eight kilograms of the illegal drug, valued at around €70,000 per kilo, was uncovered at a farmyard at Raheendoran, near Ballinabranna, after members of the Carlow Drugs Unit carried out a raid on the premises.

The raid was as a result of information received by Carlow gardaí and the drugs were brought to Carlow Garda Station, from where they will be forwarded for forensic examination. It is understood that what local gardaí describe as “a significant find of illegal drugs” was destined for the Carlow drugs market.

(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)

 

CAVAN

The government is urging people to support their local retailers, while An Garda Siochána and other public service uniforms are manufactured in Asia, as it is not commercially viable for them to be made in this country. Cavan County Councilor Peter McVitty expressed concern about garda uniforms being made in China at a recent meeting, describing the current situation as "crazy". "In these times, with unemployment as it is, we should look at how much it would cost to get them made here. There must be so many businesses in the country that would be glad to make them," he said.

(Source: The Anglo Celt)

 

CLARE

Multimillionaire JJ McCabe said last week that he did not want to “buy” a seat on Clare County Council, after it emerged that he spent less than €2,400 of his €18 million fortune in his failed bid to become elected last June. Official figures show the 73- year-old bachelor farmer, who stood as an Independent, spent €2,390 on his campaign. In terms of declared spending, this placed him in 38th place of 55 candidates. The candidate who declared the highest figure was newly elected Cllr Tony Mulqueen (FG), who spent €6,531.

(Source: The Irish Times)

 

CORK

The owner of a Doneraile pub at the centre of an arson attack on Tuesday morning last said they were 'very lucky' the would-be arsonists were so incompetent. A rock was thrown through the front-window of the St Leger's bar in Doneraile around 2.30am on Tuesday morning last. In what was clearly a planned attack, a can of petrol was then thrown through the window, followed up by a bottle with a lit rag attached. However, the device did not catch fire. Luckily for the proprietor, the window had two panes of glass and the rock had penetrated only the outer window, and the petrol bomb did not succeed in getting into the bar. Tony Leahy of St Leger's Pub, along with his business partner and staff had just finished cleaning up the bar at around 2.30am when the attack occurred.

(Source: The Corkman)

 

DERRY

More than half of BBC Radio Foyle's programs could be axed and jobs lost under a major cost-cutting drive by BBC Northern Ireland. The station's flagship "News at One" slot and the popular Sean Coyle and Mark Patterson programs will be replaced by existing shows on Radio Ulster - if proposals by management in Belfast get the green light.

(Source: The Derry Journal)

 

DONEGAL

The 15km dual carriageway project had been the subject of an oral hearing in June 2008 after its preliminary design and Environmental Impact Statement had been completed and submitted to the board of An Bord Pleanála for confirmation before moving on to detailed design and construction. Donegal Co. Council will now have to take stock and examine what options it has open considering an estimated €4 to €5 million has already been spent on the project to date.

(Source: Donegal Democrat)

 

DOWN

Newry historian Dr John McCavitt got the invitation of a lifetime when he was unexpectedly summoned to the White House while carrying out research on Rostrevor-born Major General Robert Ross. Dr McCavitt spent three weeks in Washington and Baltimore during the summer for work on a forthcoming autobiography on Ross, who is famed for his role in burning down the famous residency in 1814. During his visit, Dr McCavitt received a call from the White House curator who invited him to a private tour of the building’s archives - a chance he jumped at. “I was delighted to have been afforded private tours of the US Capitol and the US Navy Yard on the trip,” he said.

(Source: The Down Democrat)

 

DUBLIN

Music mogul Simon Cowell has vowed to leave Britain if Irish X Factor sensations John and Edward Grimes win the competition. The twins, who have become the act that viewers love to hate, have been the centres of controversy since they made the live shows, raising questions about their singing abilities. Cowell previously described the duo as "vile little creatures" and his opinion of the Lucan natives seems only to have worsened as they have sailed their way through the finals. He said: "If they win it would be a complete disaster. I would get on a plane and leave the country then sulk for about six months and Louis will be in serious trouble. "The fact is, it's a singing competition and they can't sing." The judge went on to blast the twins further as "deluded" by their newfound fame.

(Source: The Evening Herald)

 

FERMANAGH

General Medical Council hearing into a children's doctor from the Erne Hospital in Enniskillen heard how his record keeping was 'deplorable and inexcusable'. Expert witness Dr Dewi Evans, a consultant pediatrician acting for the GMC, blasted Dr Jarlath Michael O'Donohoe's note keeping in the strongest terms, labeling it 'dreadful' and 'shocking' following the death of 17-month-old Lucy Crawford. Dr O' Donohoe, the consultant pediatrician at the Erne, is facing charges of 'serious professional misconduct' and a number of allegations relating to his treatment of toddler Lucy, who died after treatment that she received in the hospital in April 2000.

(Source: The Fermanagh Herald)

 

GALWAY

Galway has a new king as Gort man Leo Finn has be selected as the King of The Culchies for 2009. He beat off steep opposition from 19 other hopeful culchies last weekend at the annual 'King of the Culchies' competition in Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan.Leo will now sit on the Glen Eagle Throne for the next year, where he will rule over his fellow culchies. Leo first fought for the title in 2000 and was narrowly defeated, but this year he made no mistake and left all his rivals trailing in his wake.

(Source: Galway Independent)

 

KERRY

Kerry entrepreneur Mike Fitzgerald, founder of Tralee-based communications form Altobridge, has won top prize in the Emerging category at the Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year Awards. The Castlegregory native is the third entrepreneur based at the Technology Park to win the prestigious award and follows previous winners Jerry Kennelly founder of Stockbyte and Alan Scroope of Freeflow. Altobridge, founded in 2002, develops software and technology that allows the low cost use of satellite technology to improve and set up mobile phone and communications networks in isolated areas.

(Source: The Kerryman)

 

KILDARE

A Newbridge man showed he has the skills when it comes to poker when he scooped the very first Paddy Power Poker Pro grand in Dublin two weeks ago. On Friday 23 October local man Derek Thorpe became the very first Paddy Power Poker Pro when he won the Poker Pro grand tournament. To win the award, the 26-year-old Kildare man had to beat thousands of other poker players - and in doing so he won a professional poker package worth €60,000.

So what is the benefit of holding the Poker Pro title? Well, it means that Derek Thorpe will become paddy powerpoker.com’s sponsored poker pro for the next 12 months - the €60,000 will go towards entering him into some of the biggest poker tournaments in the world at no cost.

(Source: The Kildare Nationalist)

 

KILKENNY

Ten sports clubs from Kilkenny, two more than last year, are amongst a record 582 applicants from across the 32-counties to put their names forward for the 2009 Texaco sport stars bursaries. Last year, Piltown camogie club was one of the winners. Launched three years ago to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Texaco sport stars awards, the scheme is open to sports clubs of all kind, North and South. Over 120,000 Euro has been allocated from which a total of 25 sports clubs stand to benefit, 20 from the Republic of Ireland and five from Northern Ireland.  Judging is currently underway.

(Source: The Kilkenny People)

 

LAOIS

Anger has been expressed last week at the potential loss of a sports coordinator for people with disabilities in Laois. In 2008, Paraolympian, Garrett Culliton, became the Sports Inclusion Disability Officer with Laois Sports Partnership, which was funded by the Dormant Accounts Disbursement Fund. The Clonaslee man has helped to coordinate sports programs for over 320 people in the county. The current funding allocation will expire at the end of year. The program was set up to increase participation level of people with a disability in sport, heightening awareness among clubs of the needs of people with a disability. The SIDO program in Laois has delivered activity and sports programs with the help of 200 volunteers.

(Source: The Laois Nationalist)

 

LEITRIM

Drumsna's newest landmark, a €5.5 million railway bridge, is due to be lifted into it's new permanent home this week. The railway bridge was due to be lifted last Tuesday but due to wind, the big move was postponed until a calmer day this week. It is understood that the largest crane ever used in Ireland is being used to put the bridge in place across the Shannon in Drumsna.

(Source: The Leitrim Observer)

 

LIMERICK

Fears over a potential gang-related incident have led to the installation of a phone link from one of the country's busiest emergency departments to Henry Street Garda station.

Emergency consultant Dr Cathal O'Donnell said that while there have been no major incidents at the A&E in Dooradoyle to date, there have been occasions when the entire department has had to be shut down and the waiting area evacuated.

(Source: The Limerick Leader)

 

LONGFORD

The Brazilian woman, who was found dead in Tullamore two weeks ago, lived and worked in Co Longford before moving to Offaly last year. Joselita da Silva (33) was a well-known resident in the town of Drumlish, where she worked as a cleaner in O'Toole's Bar. Following a temporary separation from her husband she moved to Tullamore last year. But the couple was in the process of reconciling. Her husband Jose still lives in Drumlish and he made a desperate journey to Tullamore when the alarm was raised. He then spent the past two weeks comforting Joselita's eldest son Diego (18), who also lives in Ireland.

(Source: The Longford Leader)

 

LOUTH

A new eight-classroom school and 50 new council houses are part of a multi-million euro development scheme for Mell.Work on the new eight-classroom two-storey school at Mell could start within weeks following the closure of tender applications last week.Although the school has reached this stage before, it is hoped that all issues will be sorted out quickly to allow work commence on the new St Joseph's primary school due to the severe overcrowding at the 50-year old premises opposite the parish church.As well as the eight classrooms, the project will also include a general-purpose area and other accommodation plus new vehicular access, set down and parking areas, new road access, boundary walls and railings plus landscaping and public lighting.

(Source: The Drogheda Independent)

 

MAYO

A black cloud hung over the parish of Achill last week after a 19-year-old local youth drowned near Keem Bay after his van plunged into the sea in the early hours of the morning.

The youth named locally as Nigel McNamara from the village of Dooagh drowned after his small van left the road between Dooagh and Keem Bay at around 2.30 on Monday morning last. A garda investigation into the man's death is under way. The incident was reported to the emergency services by visitors to the island who noticed the van plunge 40 feet off the cliff at an area known as ‘Boycott’s seat’.

(Source: Mayo News)

 

MEATH

Former Taoiseach and Meath Fine Gael TD John Bruton returned to Ireland last weekend as his five-year stint as head of the Delegation of the European Commission to the US comes to an end. Ambassador Bruton addressed a farewell meeting hosted by the meeting of the European Institute in Washington. "My hope, as I leave my post here after five wonderful years, is that, on both sides of the Atlantic, the positive, the foresightful, the courageous and the problem-solving forces in politics will overwhelm the forces of postponement, partisanship, point-scoring and intellectual paralysis," he told the gathering.

(Source: The Meath Chronicle)

 

OFFALY

Taoiseach Brian Cowen was on his home patch last Friday to perform the official opening of the €116m Tullamore by-pass, which has been completed ten months ahead of schedule and within budget. Mr. Cowen noted that the scheme consisted of 14 km of standard and wide single carriageway and involved the construction of six under bridges and one over bridge.

The cost was financed by the EU Regional Development Fund and the Government.

(Source: The Offaly Express)

 

ROSCOMMON

A seven-acre field in the Lisnamult area of Roscommon town could provide the ideal location for a new all weather sports area to cater for a wide range of activites with everything from soccer, camoige and athletics to Special Olympics. According to Cllr Orla Leyden “many community sports groups have to travel to Castlerea and Athlone in order to access modern all weather facilities. Roscommon town has grown in population over the last ten years. It is vital that the community sporting facilities are put in place,” she said.

(Source: The Roscommon Herald)

 

SLIGO

The developers of Sligo Retail Park, Newbay Doherty Group, have made a submission to Sligo County Council calling on them to implement changes to the Draft Sligo and Environs Development Plan 2010-2016. According to Stephen Cassidy, property consultant to Newbay Doherty Group: "If the Council implement the changes to the current Retail Park zoning which we are looking for, then we are ready to start immediately on a redevelopment of the Park which will create 300 new retail jobs for Sligo and another 100 jobs during the construction period.

(Source: The Sligo Champion)

 

TIPPERARY

Plans to build Europe's largest combined sporting, leisure and gaming complex off the M8 motorway at Two-Mile-Borris were unveiled in the Horse and Jockey Hotel on Tuesday last. If completed, the 'Tipperary Venue' would put the Premier County at the forefront of major national sporting, cultural and music events while providing much needed jobs in an area especially hit by the construction downturn. Thurles native Richard Quirke, best known as the driving force behind Dr Quirkey's Good Time Emporium in Dublin, is to finance the E460m project with a group of investors.

(Source: The Tipperary Star)

 

TYRONE

A hit and run incident outside a Donaghmore Road bar is being treated as attempted murder by Dungannon Police. Two pedestrians were taken to hospital in Craigavon after a black Mercedes mounted the pavement and struck them shortly last Monday. Three people were injured in the incident with two taken to hospital before being discharged. Their injuries are not believed to be serious. Rival groups of 30-40 men from Carrickmore and Dungannon had been dispersed by police from in front of premises.

(Source: The Tyrone Times)

 

WATERFORD

Two young men, who had been living and working in Waterford for many years, had their lives tragically cut short when the car in which they were passengers was hit head on by another vehicle in the early hours of Monday morning last. The dead men, named as Lee Salkeld (26) and Brendan Donnelly (24), were on their way from Waterford to Cork Airport on holidays with their partners, when the Volkswagon Polo they were traveling in was in a collision with a Ford Mondeo. Salkeld and his partner Kate Flynn had only recently had a little baby girl together, while Mr. Donnelly and his girlfriend, Laura Connolly, had just bought their first home together in Greenfields.

(Source: Waterford News & Star)

 

WESTMEATH

A Westmeath county councilor has threatened to resign from the HSE's Dublin/Mid-Leinster Regional Health Forum - just a matter of months after joining the consultative body. Fine Gael's Councilor Peter Burke said that he is "fed up of serving on a committee without teeth", while receiving "spin-doctored answers" to crucial questions about healthcare in Westmeath.

(Source: The Westmeath Examiner)

 

WEXFORD

Hundreds of people attended a public rally in the Philippines Saturday before last to demand the release of Wexford man Fr Mal Sinnott. Both members of the local Catholic and Muslim communities from Pagadian City were in attendance at the rally, where 14-year-old Karleen Lafuente pleaded for the safe release of Fr Sinnott. Karleen attends the Hangop Kabataan Community Based Rehabilitation Program for Children with Disabilities, which Fr Sinnott founded in 1998 in response to the lack of educational and rehabilitation facilities for children with disabilities in the Pagadian area.

(Source: The Wexford People)

 

WICKLOW

After taking six awards in the Irish Film and Television Awards 'The Tudors' has finally run out of perishable wives and must draw a curtain on King Henry's reign in Bray. Shot on location in Ardmore Studios and County Wicklow, The HBO hit starring Cork-born Jonathan Rhys Meyers was the most successful drama to be made in these parts since ' Ballykissangel'. The program has been a bolster to the Irish industry for the last number of years. The gap left when 'The Tudors' ceases will be a gaping wound. 'It has been a regular gig for a large chunk of people working in the film industry in Wicklow,' agreed Vibeke Delahunt of the County Wicklow Film Commission.

(Source: The Wicklow People)

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: