The five men who have been charged with the murder of Michaela Harte have appeared in court. The men have been refused bail and police say they are hopeful that they will receive confessions.
The Mauritian police are “trying their best” to get confessions from the remaining two suspects who have not admitted their part in the crime. Now the men will be remanded in custody until they appear in court again next Wednesday.
So far three of the men have confessed however the prime suspect in the crime, Sandip Moneea (41) continues to maintain his innocence. Police believe that he strangled Michaela.
Inspector Ranjit Jokhoo explained that the police was still processing statements from the accused.
He said “We want to record as many statements from as many people as possible...We are trying our best to get them (confessions) from all of them.”
Jokhoo also said that DNA tests could take up to two weeks to be processed.
Dassen Narrainen, one of the accused, a former security officer at Legend’s hotel will appear in court on February 14 on a bail motion. He says he gave Moneea a key-card to enter the couple’s room. Narrainen has also admitted that he maliciously implicated another hotel employee, Seenarain Mungoo.
The police say that they will wait until the results of the DNA tests are revealed until they withdrawl their objection to his bail plea.
Abinash Treebhoowoon, is charged with conspiracy to murder. He admits that the heard Michaela scream and saw two men leaving her room. He will appear in court on February 8 to seek bail.
Where does the term “the luck of the Irish” come from?