School administrators in South Hadley High have promised they will act against the bullies who drove Irish teen Phoebe Prince to suicide. But earlier this week the school’s superintendent Gus Sayer said he would not even reveal the number of students to be disciplined, let alone name names.
“It’s been three weeks since her death, and the anger and frustration in this community increases daily,” Darby O’Brien, a parent of a child in the school, told the Boston Herald. The school has been “so slow to respond some of the kids suspected of bullying now have attorneys and are not talking,” he said.
On Friday students told the Herald that the High School principal, Dan Smith, had said the bullies could expect to be suspended, expelled, or even referred to the police.
Of the worst offenders, the superintendent Sayer has said: “Each will face the most serious consequences, which can include long-term suspension or expulsion and referral to the police for further investigation.”
The Herald reported that two separate groups had stalked Prince before her suicide on January 14.
School officials learnt of the bullying about a week before Prince’s death.
Why Martin McGuinness will be remembered for hundreds of years to come