An investigation will be conducted after a Bruce Springsteen concert in Cork last week revealed serious crowd-control problems.
According to the Irish Examiner, huge lines with delays of up to 45 minutes developed as thousands of concert-goers were corralled towards one small gated exit outside the Páirc Uí Chaoimh GAA stadium following the concert on Thursday.
As the crowds pushed forward, people closer to the gate began to be crushed at the front until police ordered the GAA to open a second gate.
On Friday, Springsteen fans expressed their outrage over the situation.
“Thomond [where Springsteen played on Tuesday] was so much better organised and safer. Last night was a health and safety hazard when leaving the grounds,” said Louise Murphy.
“Hang your heads in shame organisers and say a prayer you aren’t waking up to a tragedy that would be fully of your making,” said Alan Cogan.
Peter Aiken, the concert promoter who staged the concert in association with the GAA, said, “I have asked our event controller, and the various bodies that were involved, for a full report, so I can’t comment in detail on it until I’ve seen that report. But it shouldn’t have happened.”
Supt Barry McPolin told the Irish Examiner that the agencies involved (including the concert promoters, the GAA, gardaí, the HSE, and city officials) will be invited to attend a formal review of the event.
“The exit issue from the venue will form part of a forensic review of the event in the near future and any lessons that need to be learned from the management of the event will be incorporated into any future events that may take place here,” he said.
Supt McPolin credited the well-behaved crowd for following directions. “There were no arrests associated with the concert. The crowd were good natured and in great form.”
Irish emigration songs that will stir your heart (VIDEOS)