News from around the 32 counties of Ireland
The streets of Antrim echoed to the sound of more than 8,000 pairs of feet as more than 70 Lodges from the East Antrim Combine's nine Districts joined the colourful parade through the town.
At the stroke of 11am the procession started in brilliant sunshine with the clattering of hooves as King William of Orange, flanked by the North Irish Dragoons, moved off from Fountain Hill at the head of Antrim's biggest ever Twelfth of July parade.
Within minutes drums, flutes, bagpipes and brass joined in the mix, along with cheers from the huge crowds that lined the route through the heart of the town.
Among them were visitors from all over the UK and further afield, accompanied by 60 bands from Northern Ireland, Scotland and England.
UCD student Natasha McShane, who suffered serious head injuries after being attacked with a baseball bat in Chicago, has returned home to Ireland.
The 23-year-old postgraduate student from Silverbridge in South Armagh was celebrating with a friend, Stacey Jurich (24), when they were attacked last April.
Ms McShane had secured an internship which meant she could prolong her stay in the US city where she had been studying for the semester.
Ms McShane was transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, where she will undergo a crainioplasty procedure under the care of renowned trauma-surgeon Dr Tom Flannery. Following her recuperation, she will continue her rehabilitation programme in a nearby specialised unit.
Three accidents at the same bend little more than 24 hours apart have left residents at Crossneen, Carlow terrified that someone will be killed outside their homes.
The accidents happened just hours apart last Thursday/Friday, smashing into the front wall of two neighbouring houses and writing off four cars.
The treacherous bend is located at the end of the row of bungalows on the road from Graiguecullen to Milford, a stretch used by large volumes of traffic.
Luckily no-one was seriously injured in the accidents but residents warn that it’s only a matter of time before the dangerous bends could claim lives.
“There is a serious ongoing danger to life here,” said resident Rosaleen Kearns, whose wall was damaged in both the first and the third accident.
A Cavan man who was found guilty of the murder of a 33-year-old father of one was sentenced to life in prison in the Central Criminal Court on Monday, July 12.
Trevor McCabe (35), of Mountpleasant, Ballyconnell, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Darren McGrath (33), in Belturbet, on May 20, 2008.
Last week, the accused was found guilty of the murder of Mr.. McGrath by a jury of eight women and four men, who reached their majority verdict of 10-2 after almost eight hours of deliberation.
It was the prosecution's case that Mr. McCabe shot Mr. McGrath as he slept in bed beside his fiance. They said Mr. McCabe entered the house with a shotgun at approximately 5am, shot Mr. McGrath twice in the head, and then drove away.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
Niall O'Dowd, as for my typos, can't you tell a bit of irony and parody when you see it?An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis