\"News

News from around the country of Ireland Photo by: Google Images

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the country of Ireland Photo by: Google Images

ANTRIM

Sufferers of asbestos-related cancer who cannot trace those liable to pay compensation can now access a government support fund – but only if they have been diagnosed with the deadly condition within the past week. Mesothelioma is a cancer of the lining of internal organs, notably the lungs, and almost always arises from exposure to asbestos.

On Wednesday (July 25) U.K. Welfare Minister Lord Freud announced that victims will benefit from approximately $465m in payments over the next 10 years.
[Source: Antrim Guardian]

ARMAGH

The deliberate burning of a 40-foot truck loaded with cubes of fuel-laundering waste has been slammed by the local community. Residents of the Castleblaney Road in Newtownhamilton are also angry that the trailer had been dumped there almost four weeks before the arson attack in the early hours of July 26.

Two fire crews from Newtownhamilton and one from Crossmaglen attended the “protracted incident” at 1 a.m. on Thursday morning and eventually managed to bring the blaze under control.

People living nearby reported that the dumped vehicle was due to be removed from the area by the Environmental Health Agency the following day.
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]

CARLOW

A generous local man who turned $3.65 into $334,657 wants to share his Lotto success with the shop assistant who sold him the winning ticket.

The mystery EuroMillions winner, who pocketed the hefty prize in the draw on July 27, dropped into Costcutter’s, Tullow Road the following day to share a piece of his winnings with shop assistant Brendan Delaney.

“We don’t really know who he is. He just came in looking for Brendan and said he was going to give him a bit of money. I think he was still in shock,” said store manager Jason McSteen.
[Source: Carlow Nationalist]

CAVAN

Sean Quinn's daughter fears that the appointment of receivers to the assets of the Quinn children could damage the family's chances of getting their day in court, despite last Monday (July 30) having their living expenses granted. She made the comments at a rally in Ballyconnell the previous day at which 4,000-plus people turned up in support of the Quinns.

Receivers had been appointed to the assets of the Quinn children before last Tuesday’s High Court ruling on the families' living expenses.

The court approved the payment of monthly living expenses totaling almost $36,500 to the five Quinns and to three spouses.
[Source: The Anglo Celt]

CLARE

Parents in Clare are approaching St. Vincent de Paul in record numbers in an effort to manage back-to-school costs.

The traditionally quiet months of June and July have been busier than ever for the charity this year as families struggle with the cost of free education. Parents estimate they will spend $594 for each child attending primary school and $756 for a secondary school child, according to research published this week by the National Consumer Agency. The research also found that this year, 78% of parents are more concerned about back-to-school costs than last year.

According to Cathal Oakes from the Clare branch of the Society of St. Vincent De Paul, this is reflected in the county.

“People are getting in touch at the moment about the cost of going back to school. One of the things we found is that traditionally the number of calls would be down in June and July but this year they are still very, very high,” he told The Clare Champion.
[Source: Clare Champion]

CORK

Ryanair has announced five new routes from Cork to Eastern Europe, going on sale from August 2.
 
Speaking at the Clarion Hotel in Cork last Thursday morning, Ryanair's Michael Cawley confirmed that the low-cost airline will fly to five different cities in Poland and Lithuania – Gdansk, Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw and Vilnius.
 
"Our Cork winter schedule 2012 now grows to two based aircraft and 10 routes which will deliver over 850,000 passengers per annum at Cork airport, sustaining over 800 on-site jobs," said Mr. Cawley.

The announcement of the routes is to compete against Wizz airline, with Ryanair offering fares 50% cheaper.
[Source: Cork Independent]

DERRY

Around 200 passengers this past weekend explored Derry’s history and culture when a North American cruise ship docked in the city.

The Clipper Odyssey, which accommodates 200 passengers and crew, berthed at Fort George on Saturday.

It is designed to allow for intimate expedition-style cruising and enables it to reach unusual locations that are inaccessible for larger vessels.

The ship has been chartered by North American academic tour operator Academic Arrangements Abroad who specialize in prestigious art and history tours.
[Source: Derry Journal]

DONEGAL

Donegal County Council requested a Garda (police) presence at County House last Monday to coincide with a planned public protest outside of the July county council meeting.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: