\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Antrim

Around 30 officers raided two neighboring houses in Antrim last week after a shot was fired through the rear window of a car in Rathkyle last week.


Witnesses to the police operation told the Antrim Guardian that unmarked police cars 'tore into' Rathglynn last Wednesday night before plain clothes officers used battering rams to gain entry to both properties.


“They had sniffer dogs and were going through bins and lifting floorboards," one witness said. 
“Two men were lifted and the police left again about 1am and took several large forensic bags with them."


The raids came less than 24 hours after a shot was fired through the rear window of a car in nearby Rathkyle the previous night (Tuesday).
A local householder heard a loud bang at around 11.30pm. 
At 9.45am the following morning, it was discovered that the rear window of a Renault Laguna parked at the address had been smashed. 
Police recovered what are believed to be shotgun pellets from the vehicle. 
Local Alliance councilor Neil Kelly said he is 'appalled' by the shooting incident.


He said: "The community is shocked at this incident. I am appalled that anyone could carry out something like this. 
“Incidents like this have absolutely no place in our society and they cause fear in the community. This is a deeply worrying event and my thoughts are with the person whose car was damaged.


“Anyone who saw anything or who has any other information regarding this matter should contact police immediately.


A police spokeswoman confirmed that a 24-year-old man had been arrested on the night of the raids. She said he was arrested 'in connection' to the shot fired at the car in Rathkyle.


“Two searches were also carried out at two flats in the Rathglynn area," she added. 
“The man was questioned in connection with the attack before being released on bail early on Thursday morning."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)

Armagh

A Newry man recently charged with a string of sex offences against children appeared in a child safety advertising campaign shown in public places locally as recently as last summer, the Examiner has learned.

Dennis Lancaster of Lisdrum Avenue appeared before Newry Magistrates’ Court on 21st December charged with rape, sexual assault and two counts of sexual activity with a child. The charges brought relate to incidents dating from September 19th 2010 and involve two alleged injured parties.

The Examiner has learned that the 32-year-old former juvenile boxing Coach featured in an advertising video clip published to warn parents about child protection. The advert was produced by a UK-based company and featured Lancaster, who previously resided in England.  Sickeningly, given the charges against him, the awareness campaign in which Lancaster appeared urged parents to “know where your children are” and was unwittingly shown in a number of public places in the area, including Daisy Hill Hospital.

The material which appeared on the advertising screens is overseen by Newry and Mourne District Council’s Community Safety Partnership (CSP).  However, the Examiner understands that this particular clip was streamed to the screens by the UK-based supplier and was not undertaken by the CSP.

Commenting CSP Manager Heather McKee said: “The Community Safety Partnership did not use any individual to make a video of this nature”.

The Council issued a further statement on the matter stating: “Newry and Mourne District Council wishes to confirm that the Council has not filmed any video, in connection with child protection, featuring the individual being referred to”.
(Source: Crossexmainer.co.uk)

-------------------

Read more:

More news from Ireland on IrishCentral

Irish homeowners now have legal right to shoot intruders

Irish husband and wife tell of harrowing ordeal as Italian cruiser sinks

-------------------

Carlow

Three masked men threatened a shop assistant with wheelbraces and a knife before making off with the till from a shop in Fenagh last Tuesday week.



The gang, who were wearing balaclavas, entered the Black Cat shop in Fenagh at approximately 7.05pm on Tuesday 3 January.



Two of the men were carrying wheelbraces, while the third man was armed with a knife when they entered the shop, which was manned by a lone female shop assistant at the time.



The trio, who made off with the till and its contents, had a “threatening demeanor”, according to a garda spokesperson.



Gardaí are investigating the possibility that the incident might be linked to a similar crime which took place in Myshall minutes later.



COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: