Children are using mobile phones to encourage their friends to take part in riots in north Belfast, it has been warned. The shock claim was made following a third night of serious disturbances in the Ardoyne area during which police came under attack with petrol bombs. One police officer was injured and two teenagers arrested after petrol bombs, fireworks, bricks and bottles were thrown during violence that continued into the early hours of last Thursday.
Source: The Belfast Telegraph
Carlow’s streets are awash with drugs but local gardaí (police) have taken the fight to the county’s drugs lords by carrying out a total of 28 searches within a ten-day period. It has also been confirmed that heroin is the drug of choice for dealers who have been flocking to Carlow to peddle their deadly wares. The searches, which were carried out on persons and properties around Carlow between Friday 3 July and midnight on Sunday 12 July, resulted in ten seizures of illegal substances.
Source: The Carlow Nationalist
The Irish Nurses Organization (INO) is demanding that the Health Service Executive (HSE) immediately fill all vacancies at Cavan General Hospital and bring staffing levels up to what is required in light of the forthcoming transfer of acute services from Monaghan to Cavan on Wednesday. “We need clear assurances that the staff that is required will be put in place. We have received assurances but our concern is that these positions will not be filled by July 22nd. The HSE have indicated that agency staff maybe used in the interim but we are seeking a firming up of this requirement on permanent staff,” stated INO regional organizer, Tony Fitzpatrick.
Source: The Anglo Celt
A Macroom builder is prepared to build Macroom's proposed new fire station and lease it to Cork County Council — a move welcomed as a brave act by councilors. Mr. Stephen O'Connor of Sleeveen East, Macroom wrote to each member of Macroom Town Council stating that he has been in correspondence with Cork County Council for the past 12 months in relation to the purchasing of a site at the Millstreet Road, Macroom that, he says, has been approved by Chief Fire Officer Ger Malone. To date little progress has been made due to the present financial conditions affecting both the Department of Environment and Cork County Council.
Source: The Corkman
The gate lodge of Strabane Grammar School has been destroyed by fire. Police are treating the incident at Liskey Road as arson. The cost of the damage has been estimated at £10,000. The blaze was reported on Monday two weeks ago, and was extinguished by firefighters.
Source: The Derry Journal
A female councilor has been voted chairperson of the Glenties Electoral Area for the first time ever. Sinn Féin Councilor, Marie Therese Gallagher was nominated to the position by Fianna Fail Councilor David Alcorn in the Glenties Electoral Area last week. Councilor Padraig Ó’Dochartaigh supported Councilor Alcorn’s nomination. There were no other proposals. It is understood that the five councilors will rotate the chairmanship for the following five years with Councilor Gallagher taking to the seat first.
Source: Donegal Democrat
Personal injury claims from Newry and Mourne have cost Roads Service more than £81,000 in the past year. The figure comprises both legal costs (£34,300) and compensation payments (£46,757.48). Despite this being a significant reduction from the year before, local Assembly member Dominic Bradley has described the management of Personal Injury Claims as ‘deeply disturbing’. The Newry and Armagh MLA have now called for a complete overhaul of the compensation process. “The Department of Regional Development (DRD) paid out a whopping £4 million across the north last year, nearly half of which went on legal fees either to the claimant’s solicitors or to government legal advisors in the Departmental Solicitor’s Office,” he said. “It is more akin to the accounting procedures of Mr. Micawber in the Charles Dickens novel ‘David Copperfield’.
Source: The Down Democrat
People with disabilities are the latest group to suffer at the hands of Dublin City Council's cost-cutting program. The cash-strapped local authority is refusing to accept any more applications for housing grants for disabled people. The council said it did not have the "financial resources" to process any further applications in 2009. The grants are used to help disabled people adapt their homes by installing access ramps, stair lifts, downstairs toilets and other facilities. "We find it very disturbing that the council is ceasing to accept applications," Disability of Ireland Federation spokesman Allen Dunne said.
Source: The Evening Herald
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: