A community worker could have “burned in her bed” following an early morning arson attack on her Springfarm home, the Antrim Guardian can reveal.
Some semblance of normality had returned to the estate in recent months following a wave of attacks on people, houses and cars – but things remain tense.
[Source: Antrim Guardian]
An elderly lady is recovering from her ordeal after her home was targeted by thieves early on Friday afternoon, October 4.
The pensioner, aged in her 80s, was in her home on the Blayney Road, Newtownhamilton, when two burglars forced their way into the property.
Luckily, a passer-by noticed the suspicious activity and immediately alerted police who arrived on the scene shortly afterwards. He managed to detain one of the burglars until police arrived. The second suspect was subsequently apprehended nearby.
Police said a 28-year-old man and his 15-year-old accomplice were arrested shortly after the incident was reported around 4:30 p.m., and thanked the member of the public for his “quick thinking and brave actions.”
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]
A local woman who was so impressed with last year’s Mensana Fest that it spurred her into getting involved with Carlow Mental Health Association is now encouraging others to come out and experience this year’s event.
The mental health festival started on Sunday, October 6, and ran to the following Saturday.
Christine Davis from Carlow Town attended last year’s festival and was moved to be part of the organization that she believes “is working so passionately on promoting a positive attitude towards mental health.”
[Source: Carlow Nationalist]
Gardaí (police) have said the missing man at the center of an alleged abduction from outside a housing estate in Virginia has been located "safe and well."
Gardaí in Cavan began last Wednesday continuing their investigation and seeking the public’s assistance following an alleged abduction of a man in the east of the county on Tuesday afternoon, October 8.
The abducted man, named as Richard O’Donovan (31) of Virginia, Cavan, was driving his Blue/Grey B.M.W. 3 series car at the entrance to the Swiftbrook Glen Estate at 3:30 p.m. last Tuesday when it was rammed by a silver B.M.W. X5 four-wheel drive.
It is understood the occupants of the four-wheel drive then dragged Mr. O’Donovan from his car before bundling him into the B.M.W. X5 jeep and driving out of the estate making their escape from the area. It is understand from Garda reports that Mr. O’Donovan had only been living in Virginia for a number of months, and that he is originally from Navan, County Meath.
[Source: The Anglo Celt]
The body of a man who fell into the sea while fishing in County Clare on Sunday, October 6, has been recovered.
Naval divers recovered the body of the 42-year-old Latvian man at around 11:30 a.m. at Ballyreen near Fanore.
It is believed the man, who lived in County Roscommon, was washed into the sea while fishing for mackerel with friends.
The search operation involved the coast guard, navy and Gardaí (police).
[Source: RTE News]
Cork restaurants led the charge against the planned rise in V.A.T. in last week's budget, with a Twitter protest last Wednesday evening.
According to Richard Jacob, who runs Café Idaho on Caroline Street, the planned 50 percent increase in V.A.T. "is not just a tax on restaurants and the hospitality industry, but it means we have to put up the price of everything.
"We haven't put up our prices for two years because we know we can't – people just don't have the money for it so we have absorbed the rise in prices of cheese, energy, lots of things. Every hospitality business will have to charge more.”
[Source: Cork Independent]
Creggan Councilor Kevin Campbell said that he hoped supply would be restored last Wednesday night to hundreds of homes in Creggan left without water after a pipe burst.
He said: “Both Colly Kelly and I have been inundated with phone calls from early morning from residents in the new development of Ballymagowan, Circular Road, and Creggan Heights to say the water in their homes was off. I contacted N.I. Water who sent an engineer to the scene.
“Councilor Kelly also went to the scene and spoke to N.I. Water officials, who informed him that a burst pipe was the source of the problem and it was a major job. It was fixed around 3 p.m., but burst again shortly afterwards. Hundreds of homes have been without water for an entire day and there is low water pressure in other areas of Creggan.”
[Source: Derry Journal]
A new treasure trove – archive recordings of Irish speakers including men from Donegal – has just been launched.
A German professor, Dr. Wilhelm Doegen, came to Ireland 85 years ago and recorded the Irish language wherever it was still spoken.
In all, 136 speakers in 17 counties recorded 400 stories, songs, prayers, charms and parables between 1928 and 1931.
One of the main centers for recording was the courthouse in Letterkenny, and men from all parts of Donegal traveled there to take part in the project.
[Source: Donegal Democrat]
The families of County Down women, Marion Graham and Cathy Dinsmore, have finally attained a “degree of closure” after 24-year-old Recep Cetin was found guilty of their murders two weeks ago.
The two women were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack while on holiday in Turkey in August 2011. Their bodies were found in a wood on the outskirts of the city of Izmir.
Ms. Graham was stabbed 17 times in the attack, and Ms. Dinsmore suffered 35 stab wounds.
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]
The name “Priory Hall” is to be dropped from the infamous firetrap development once Dublin City Council assumes control of the complex and makes it safe under a proposed government deal to resolve the debacle.
As former residents met to discuss the terms of the deal, which was the result of intense negotiations led by top civil servant, Martin Fraser, new details of what will become of the development emerged last Tuesday night.
A source familiar with the talks told the Herald that the $13.5 million plans for Dublin City Council to refurbish the complex will include the following: "The development will remain a mix of private and social housing, as per the original planning permission.”
[Source: Evening Herald]
A self-styled community man and champion of local football with a total of 235 previous convictions has been jailed for four months for disorderly behavior and lunging at a police officer. Enniskillen Magistrates Court heard that 43-year-old Thomas Henry McCaffery – widely known by his nickname “Tucker” – had 44 previous convictions for disorderly behavior and, despite three character references and a claim from the defense that his detention would be of “great detriment to the local community,” the district judge imposed a custodial sentence.
The prosecutor told the court that on May 3, 2013, police were called to the Lakeside Service Station, Queen Street, Enniskillen, at 1 a.m. where the defendant was causing a disturbance.
[Source: Fermanagh Herald]
A man and a woman were in Garda (police) custody following a stabbing at an estate on the Headford road in the early hours of last Wednesday.
A woman in her 30s received a stab wound to her abdomen at Ard an Coiste sometime between 12:30-1 a.m.
The woman, believed to be a native of County Clare, was taken to University Hospital Galway, where her condition was described as critical but stable that morning.
[Source: Galway Bay FM]
The Kerry County Board has revealed their plans to build a G.A.A. Centre of Excellence and associated facilities, with sponsors Kerry Group contributing $1.4 million to the project.
The “Kingdom,” winners of a record 36 All-Ireland S.F.C. titles, want to keep at the top of the football tree and, fresh from installing Jack O'Connor as their new minor manager, the establishment of this new center could play a vital role in annexing more silverware for Kerry teams in the future.
[Source: Irish Examiner]
Jason Ryan is the new manager of the Kildare senior footballers after his nomination was ratified at a meeting of the county board last Tuesday night.
Ryan, who has been handed an initial one-year deal, worked as an assistant to former Lilywhites manager Kieran McGeeney this year before club delegates decided to axe McGeeney.
The Waterford native managed Wexford for five seasons, guiding them to two Leinster final appearances and an All-Ireland semifinal, where they lost out to eventual champions Tyrone in 2008.
[Source: RTE News]
Gardaí (police) are seeking the public’s help in tracing the whereabouts of a five-year-old boy missing from the Callan area.
Michael Harty has been missing since July 30. He has blond hair, and is described as 2’8” (81 cm.) and weighing 42 lbs. (19 kg.).
[Source: Kilkenny People]
New jobs are on the way following the announcement by Topaz of a new motorway service stop, one of which will be located off the motorway between Abbeyleix and Rathdowney
The company two weeks ago announced that it is to open two new motorway sites. One of the stations will be located at Junction 3 on the Dublin Cork motorway (M8) near Ballacolla. The other will be situated at Junction 5 on the Dublin Waterford motorway (M9).
Topaz says both sites, which will be among the most modern and best equipped in the country, will provide much needed services and facilities to motorists using the M8 and M9.
[Source: Leinster Express]
A spate of graffiti tagging on homes, businesses and signage around Manorhamilton is destroying years of hard work put in by volunteers involved in the local Tidy Towns committee.
In recent weeks, vandals have targeted buildings and signage in a graffiti “bombing” campaign of the town, tagging public areas with the letters “OSK.”
Clr. Sean McSharry, a member of the local Tidy Towns committee, said that the graffiti has caused widespread anger, especially with those who have volunteered their time over the last few years to try and improve the appearance of the town.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]
Interpol are working with Limerick Gardaí (police) to topple a major Lithuanian drugs gang, after it was revealed that 16 Lithuanians have been arrested and charged with various drug offenses in Limerick.
The drugs gang is using newly-arrived immigrants to sell drugs on the streets of towns and cities across Ireland, Judge Eugene O’Kelly was told last Tuesday.
Nineteen-year-old Rustam Riabov was only in the country two weeks when he was ordered to go to Limerick to sell heroin, Limerick District Court heard.
[Source: Limerick Leader]
A pipe bomb outside a house near Edgeworthstown two weeks ago exploded moments before Gardaí (police) discovered a second viable device, the Leader can reveal.
No one was hurt when the bomb detonated at around 9 p.m. on Wednesday, October 2, with the house’s occupants initially believing the blast to be that of a shotgun.
But it was only when Gardaí arrived and carried out a search of the premises that a second device was found, resulting in army bomb disposal experts being called in.
[Source: Longford Leader]
A freelance makeup artist, Marie Murphy, who hails from Carlingford, has been selected as a finalist in a worldwide makeup artist competition, “The Illamasqua Distinction,” in Makeup Artistry Awards, which were held on Saturday, October 5, in B.A.F.T.A. in London.
The Former Dun Lughaigh pupil flew to London and applied make-up in front of a live audience in B.A.F.T.A., and the image was cast as a live vote via Facebook.
Marie, who currently works as a graphic designer in Dublin, explained that the competition is made up of four categories, and in each category there are four finalists.
[Source: Dundalk Democrat]
A Manulla crèche is facing closure and fines of up to approximately $16,000 after a court heard that toddlers were left unattended, and that children were upset after being grabbed by their arms by a staff member.
Ms. Marie McGrath, owner of Sunny Days crèche, which is located in a former licensed premise in Manulla, pleaded guilty to 10 breaches of the 2006 Pre-school Child Care Regulations on January 15, January 25 and April 11, 2013. The H.S.E. withdrew 11 other charges at last Monday’s special sitting of Castlebar District Court.
[Source: The Mayo News]
Footballer Joe Sheridan, recently dropped from the Meath senior panel, is turning to a new interest: politics.
The Seneschalstown clubman is to seek a nomination to run in next year's county council elections in Meath, following in the footsteps of his father, Damien, a former Navan urban councilor.
The county’s top-scoring full-forward, who famously met Queen Elizabeth and Michelle Obama when they visited Dublin two years ago, said this week he was happy to put his name forward for selection, but as he was bordering a number of electoral areas, he hadn’t yet decided the best option for both himself and the party.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]
The Health Service Executive has said it plans to close a children's high-support unit in County Monaghan after the Health Information and Quality Authority expressed serious concern about the unit.
H.I.Q.A. said children were being locked into the Rath na nÓg unit at Castleblayney despite the occurrence of several fires in a short period prior to the inspection.
It also expressed concern about bullying and assaults at the unit in a report published last Tuesday morning.
[Source: RTE News]
The total number of vacant commercial units or premises recorded in Offaly is 12.5 percent according to the third GeoView quarterly report on Commercial Vacancy Rates, published jointly by GeoDirectory and D.K.M. Economic Consultants.
In this issue it examined commercial vacancy rates in 79 towns across the country, including 22 Dublin postcode locations.
The report classifies as vacant 27,405 of the 223,359 commercial address points recorded in the country. The overall commercial vacancy rate is 12.3 percent. This is an increase on the 11.9 percent recorded in the Q2 2013 issue.
[Source: Offaly Express]
A man accused of raping two schoolgirls has been transferred to a different prison.
The 30-year-old, originally from Ballinasloe, County Galway, was shifted to Dublin’s Cloverhill Jail from Castlerea Prison in Roscommon under tight security.
The accused, who was charged over the incident two weeks ago, had been placed on suicide watch and was under protection at Castlerea.
It is alleged he raped each of the two girls – who are aged six and nine – twice at an address in Athlone, Co. Westmeath, on September 28.
[Source: Irish Mirror]
Minor upgrading works commenced in the emergency department at Sligo Regional Hospital on Monday, September 30.
Commenting on the works, Grainne McCann, general manager, said, “The upgrading works will involve creating a dedicated treatment and waiting area for children, an improved minor injuries area and an additional reception area.”
The works are due to be completed in December.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]
Killenaule man Michael Cleere was co-opted to fill a Labour Council seat at this month’s meeting of South Tipperary County Council. The seat was left vacant last March by the departure of Bobby Fitzgerald.
Clr. Cleere was proposed by Clr. Seanie Lonergan and seconded by Clr. Eddie O’Meara last Monday. Michael was described as a “stalwart and reliable life-long Labour man” by Clr. Lonergan.
Clr. Cleere was unsuccessful when he contested the Labour seat in the Fethard area of South Tipperary County Council in the last local elections. It‘s understood he will campaign again next year to retain the seat. He is well known around Killenaule for his work as a bus driver with the local day care center, and work with the elderly. Four candidates put their names forward during the co-option process, with Clr. Cleere emerging victorious with the most votes by proportional representation.
[Source: Tipperary Star]
Three incidents involving arson and criminal damage in two neighboring housing estates in the Monrush area of Cookstown are being investigated by police.
All the incidents occurred on Sunday morning, October 6.
Detectives in the area are appealing for information following an arson attack on a house in the Princess Avenue area in the early hours of Sunday.
[Source: Tyrone Courier]
Two women have appeared before the Central Criminal Court in Waterford and admitted being involved in the killing of a 60-year-old man in the city last April. Meanwhile, a man has gone on trial for murder.
Both 40-year-old Michelle Hynes, of no fixed abode, and 39-year-old Johanna Kelly, also of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty last Wednesday morning to the manslaughter of Joe O’Brien.
Patrick Keating (49), formerly of Moyne House, Grattan Quay, Waterford, pleaded not guilty in court to Mr. O’Brien’s murder, but said he was guilty of manslaughter.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
A doctor based in the Midland Regional Hospital Mullingar, Dr. Siobhán Neville, speaks out about why strike action was taken around the country last Wednesday.
"The reasons for today’s strike are twofold.
“One is to reduce the maximum shift length of N.C.H.D.s (non-consultant hospital doctors) to 24-hours consecutively.
“Currently some N.C.H.D.s would be working 36 hours or more, depending on the institution, but certainly upwards of 24 hours in a row.”
[Source: Westmeath Examiner]
Some of the top coach and tour operators in Britain traveled over to Ireland two weeks ago to attend a workshop with the tourism sector here and during their visit they stopped off in New Ross.
The initiative was organized in conjunction with Failte Ireland to encourage the visiting operators to feature Ireland as a new destination in their 2014 programs and to extend the Irish content of their existing programs.
[Source: Wexford Echo]
Former Dublin player Johnny Magee will be part of the Wicklow senior football management team for the 2014 season, coming on board as a selector.
Magee captained his club Kilmacud Crokes to an All-Ireland senior title in 2009, having played as a half-back and midfielder for Dublin for a 10-year period up to 2007.
The 35-year-old won two Leinster Championship medals and an O'Byrne Cup during his inter-county playing days, and Wicklow manager Harry Murphy will be hoping Magee's experience can help the county turn a corner after a disappointing 2013 campaign.
[Source: Breaking News]
Jackie Kennedy's private life revealed by her Irish-born assistant