There have been appeals for calm after the horrific assault last week which left a 17-year-old fighting for his life in hospital.
Jordan Duffy, from Townparks South, was savagely beaten in the early hours of last Friday morning (August 5). He is currently in a 'stable condition' in the High Dependency Unit at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast. Police have confirmed that in the wake of the brutal attack, the families of the three men accused in relation to the attack have received threats of retaliation.
The threats, which were delivered by Facebook and text message were received by a sister of one of those charged with attempted murder. They warn that the 'whole family will get what is coming to them for the attack on Duffy' along with the families of the man's co-accused.
They also threatened to 'get every last one' of them - adding that was 'not a threat - it's a promise'.
PUP South Antrim Chair and Vice Chair of the Antrim Community Safety Partnership, Ken Wilkinson has criticized those making threats as well as local politicians who he claims are 'scoring cheap political points' off the back of the assault.
“This is not acceptable," he told the Guardian. "I know Jordan's family and I can guarantee you that they don't want this to happen. Regardless of what the courts decide, no family should not be held responsible for what their sons are accused of.
“People need to calm down and take a step back and let the law deal with this appropriately. I just want to call for calm heads. We don't need to see a situation where more families have to endure an agonizing sit beside a hospital bed."
The Mayor of Antrim, Councilor Paul Michael has also appealed for calm after visiting Jordan's grandmother over the weekend.
“Jordan is fighting," said the UUP man. "He has a bleed on the brain and most of the bones in his face like his nose, eye socket and cheek bone have been smashed.
“But the family don't want to see any more violence. They are obviously distraught but they know that violence isn't the answer. His grandmother told me she wouldn't wish this kind of thing on anyone."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
A man was charged with a series of terrorist-related offences.
The man, 47, was arrested in Craigavon, Co Armagh last Wednesday during a search operation by detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's serious crime branch.
He will appear in court in Lisburn this week charged with possession of a firearm and explosives with intent to endanger life.
He will also face counts of possessing ammunition and items likely to be of use to terrorists.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)
One little grandson proved luckier than most for his doting granny last week.
Eileen Doyle’s first grandchild Conor was born on a Tuesday and she was pulled out of the draw for the Big Money Game Show four days later.
Appearing on the RTÉ show last Saturday, Eileen from Knocknacree, Castledermot brought along a picture of her new pride and joy for extra luck.
And it was more than luck she brought home as she managed to nab a fantastic €62,000 on the night.
“I’m over the moon, I still can’t believe it,” said Eileen, who’s sure to spoil her little grandson now with her winnings.
Eileen’s sister broke the great news to her when her name was called out on the previous week’s show.
“I was watching the football and my sister rang and said I was going to be on the show. I said ‘go away out of that’ – I thought it was a dream,” laughed Eileen.
Sitting in the crowd last Saturday week armed with banners were Eileen’s husband Pat and two daughters Michelle and Emma, while Michelle’s husband Seán Kane stayed at home to mind the little lucky charm.
“To say ‘I’ve been there, done that’, it still doesn’t register,” added a still-shocked Eileen, who works part-time in PJ Duffy’s, Tullow.
“The whole experience was brilliant. They couldn’t have been nicer, everyone was so supportive and Derek was absolutely brilliant and puts you at ease,” she added.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)
Some unscrupulous individuals stooped to a new low when they decided to target graveyards in Cavan town as a dumping ground and for drinking parties. The dumping at Cullies and Tullacmongan has prompted the County Council to appeal for information as to the culprits so they can be prosecuted.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: