Residents in Antrim were forced to leave their homes for more than six hours last Monday as police and army technical officers dealt with a security alert, which was later declared a hoax.
People living in Tower Way were woken by police officers knocking on their doors shortly after 7am and those living nearby were evacuated for their own safety.
It took army technical officers hours to secure what was believed to be a suspect device as residents were moved even further back amid concerns that a controlled explosion would have to be carried out.?
One woman told the Antrim Guardian that she had been evacuated just after 7am and she had left her dog in the house while she went to her mother's.
“I got the knock on the door and I just had to leave. I heard it was pipe bomb that had been left at a man's house but that's all I know," she said. As a bomb squad expert worked at the scene a police officer said: "We have moved people back while the ATO guys are working.
“Sometimes you just can't be sure what will happen and we needed to make sure everyone is safe."
After the device was investigated by the expert with an army robot, forensics moved in to examine the scene.
A PSNI spokesman said: "The security alert in the Tower Way area ended at 1.33pm. ATO finished at the scene and nothing untoward was found."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
A senior police officer has reminded parents of their responsibility to make sure their children do not get involved in rioting after more disorder in Northern Ireland.
The 100-strong crowd of loyalists that attacked police in Portadown was predominantly made up of teenagers, police said.
Three men were arrested during the disturbances in the Corcraine area of the Co Armagh town which was sparked after loyalist flags were allegedly removed at an interface with a nationalist area. Officers fired 19 baton rounds at the rioters during the violence.
The disorder came at the end of a week which saw violence erupt across Northern Ireland during the height of the Orange Order marching season.
Police Service of Northern Ireland Superintendent Jason Murphy said a peaceful loyalist protest had been hijacked by those intent on trouble.
He said officers had been attacked with petrol bombs, stones, bricks, fireworks and other missiles. The commander said a number of Land Rovers sustained substantial damage during the disorder but no officers were injured.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)
Accounts at Carlow Post Office are now being examined following revelations that local man Tony O’Reilly is at the heart of a missing €1.76 million from Gorey Post Office.
The 36-year-old from Carlow town found himself at the centre of a media storm last week when it emerged that he was being sought in connection to the missing funds, which were revealed following an audit at An Post, Gorey.
Mr O’Reilly, who lives in Sandhills, Hacketstown Road, is understood to have worked for up to ten years at Carlow Post Office and was a well-known face in the local branch.
The Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation are now looking into whether O’Reilly, who is married with one child, could have stolen money from the Carlow branch of An Post to feed his crippling gambling addiction.
“They are looking into everything he did, absolutely everything,” said a source. “And that includes Carlow Post Office.” ??It is believed that Mr O’Reilly, who played football locally for Hanover Harps, gambled away the astonishing sum of money online and may have been addicted for many years.
His story hit national headlines when he was reported missing by his family after leaving to go to work on a Wednesday morning.
Mr O’Reilly’s wife received a text message to say he had been involved in an accident outside of Tullow but was then unable to contact her husband. He was found in Belfast after he placed a €40,000 bet.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)
Sean Cassidy from Swanlinbar, who emigrated to London in 1970 and whose son Ciaran was a 7/7 bomb victim, is irate and shocked that his landline phone details have been discovered in the documents of the private investigator Glenn Mulcaire. Sean and his wife Veronica and daughter Lisa were endeavoring to get over the sixth anniversary of Ciaran's death when they got a phone call from the police, informing them that Sean's telephone number and address is on one of the documents connected to the illegal hacking, which is now at the centre of the police investigations and has rocked the British establishment to its core.
Sean Cassidy could not believe what he was hearing and simply did not know why a "humble, law-abiding postman" would be of any interest to the hackers. He was shocked when told by the police that his phone may have been hacked and stated that he "never thought a man of my standing would now be quoted by the world's media".