DANNY Lafferty of Creeslough said he has gotten a great response from the local public in recent days, since he reported he had 100 days to save his long-established Creeslough businesses.
“The public response has been very gratifying and wholehearted,” Lafferty said, adding that he’s seen a boost in his sales.
The people of Creeslough and surrounding communities rallied around Lafferty and his family at a public meeting last week which was attended by about 1,000 people. The meeting had been called in response to the recent announcement that the two shops, pub and filling station he owns in the village had gone into examinership.
Those who attended the meeting pledged their support to the businesses and said their loss would be a critical blow to the village. People at the meeting were encouraged to do more shopping locally where possible.
“We understand that people go to the German discounters and the multinationals, but we’re trying to say if they can give us €20-30 a week per house extra it’s going to save the village,” Lafferty said.
Lafferty said he understood the financial pressures people face. “People are wary of where they stand and the public needs every penny in their pockets,” he said. “I personally understand that.”
However, he added, “I don’t want Creeslough to be seen as a drive-through village where there is nothing to stop for.”
As well as that, he said, the local shops provide a personal service.
“We know everybody who is coming in here and we’re proud to be able to do that,” Lafferty added.
A 59-YEAR-old Castlebar woman who presented to Mayo General Hospital with chest earlier this month was sent home with the prescription of a 90-year-old man from Mulranny.
Independent councilor Michael Kilcoyne raised the issue at a meeting of Castlebar Town Council where he said the issue was only discovered the next day when a family member of the woman went to get her prescription filled in a pharmacy and it was the pharmacist who pointed out that the name on it was for a man who lived in Mulranny.
“She was brought up to the hospital with chest pains on Saturday night and was discharged later with a chest infection,” a family member said.
“There was no chemist open until Sunday and her daughter went down to get it. The pharmacist noticed that the prescription wasn’t for her mother, but for a man in Mulranny who lived in a nursing home.
“On Monday we got in touch with the hospital and they sorted it out. Both of them had been prescribed the same things and that’s how the mix up occurred, and the hospital manager did ring later that day to apologize. It was a mistake, but it could have been very serious if the pharmacist didn’t notice and there were different drugs prescribed.”
Kilcoyne said that was not good enough and shows the pressure that staff are under in Mayo General.
“Imagine if the person was allergic to something that they were prescribed and the mistake was never picked up by the pharmacist. The staff are under serious pressure up there and that’s when mistakes happen,” he said.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: