Ugandan bombing: an injured survivor is carried from one of the explosion scenes

It has been confirmed that a 50-year-old Irish woman is among the 74 people who died in the twin explosions in Kampala, Uganda as football fans watched the World Cup final.

Arrests in relation to the bombing have now been made and another “unexploded suicide belt” has been found at a third location.

Somali Islamist’s have claimed responsibility for the two bombs which ripped through crowds as they watched the final minutes of the World Cup final in a crowded Ethiopian Village restaurant and the Lugogo Ruby Club.

Fred Opolot, a Ugandan government spokesperson said “I can confirm that one Irish lady died in the blast at Kabalagala. The Irish Department of Foreign Affairs contacted her family on Monday night.

Michael Martin, the Irish Foreign Minister has issued a statement saying how “horrified”, “saddened” and “appalled” he is by this tragic waste of life.

He said “Uganda is one of Irish Aid's programme countries in Africa and I have only just returned from a visit there.

“I know that the mood in Kampala would have been one of great joy, with celebrations to mark the conclusion of Africa's first World Cup.

“On behalf of the Government and people of Ireland, I send heartfelt sympathy to the government and people of Uganda, especially to the bereaved and I offer my best wishes for a swift recovery to the injured.

“The Irish Embassy in Kampala is offering consular assistance to relatives and friends of those who may have concerns about the welfare of Irish citizens in Uganda.”

Ugandan spokesperson, Fred Opolot, confirmed that there were 74 fatalities during the attack; 28 Ugandans, an Irish woman, 11 Ethiopians and Eritreans. The other 33 of the dead had not yet been identified.

The US State Department believe that one American citizen was killed and five were injured. President Barack Obama has condemn the bombing as a deplorable and attack. He said Washington will aid those hunting down the attackers. U.S. Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton also condemned the attack on “innocent spectactors”.

Al-Shabaab Islamist militants from Somalia had already threatened to attack Uganda for sending peacekeeping troops into Somalia to prop up their Western-backed government.

Sheikh Ali Mohamud Rage, al-Shabaab's spokesman “Al-Shabaab was behind the two bomb blasts in Uganda…We thank the mujahideen that carried out the attack.”

A commander of the al-Shabaab praised the bombings saying “Uganda is a major infidel country supporting the so-called government of Somalia…We know Uganda is against Islam and so we are very happy at what has happened in Kampala. That is the best news we ever heard.”

President of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni visited the rugby club after the attack. He said “This shows you the criminality and terrorism that I have been talking about…If you want to fight, go and look for soldiers, don't bomb people watching football.”