nav
\"Fiona

Fiona Doyle speaking to the media outside the Central Criminal Court in Dublin after her father convicted child rapist Patrick O'Brien has been sent to jail after his bail was revoked. Photo by: PA

Bail revoked for Irish father who raped daughter for ten years as judge apologizes- VIDEO

\"Fiona

Fiona Doyle speaking to the media outside the Central Criminal Court in Dublin after her father convicted child rapist Patrick O'Brien has been sent to jail after his bail was revoked. Photo by: PA

An Irish judge has revoked bail in the case of a serial rapist who abused his daughter for a decade.

There was public outcry when 72-year-old child rapist Patrick O'Brien was granted bail and walked free from Dublin’s Central Criminal Court last Monday, after he was sentenced to the repeated rape of his daughter Fiona, but was granted bail to appeal.

O'Brien was sentenced to 12 years in jail, with nine years suspended, after he pleaded guilty to 16 charges of the rape and indecent assault of his daughter.

Mr Justice Paul Carney revoked his bail on Thursday and expressed regret over his initial decision.

"I express Ms Doyle my profound regret for the distress that has been caused to her in this case," the judge said.

Read More: Enda Kenny shocked as man who raped daughter for 10-years released on bail

He said he was fully aware of the gravity of the case but that he had a mandatory obligation to take account of the health situation of the accused, who is on constant oxygen and under the care of medics.

Fiona Doyle, from Bray Co. Wicklow, who waived her right to anonymity, was raped by her father once a week, for ten years, starting after her first holy communion in 1973.

Outside the court Doyle told reporters she finally felt vindicated and was over whelmed by the support of the public over the sentencing controversy.

"I accept judge Carney's regret in what happened,” she said.

“I was overwhelmed by the support, the media support, the people of Bray,” she said.

“They picked me up and carried me the last four days, like my children and my family."

The 47-year-old expressed relief over the sentencing. "I have waited for this day for over 20 years since I first brought the first complaint to the gardai and the HSE," she said.

"They were like everybody else, my schools, teachers, doctors, hospitals, they let me down. Nobody believed."

In her statement she encouraged victims of sexual abuse to come forward.

"Look at my face today compared to last week," she said. "It’s been a rough ride, but it's worth it."

She added later: "Somebody will listen to you. Somebody will come on board."

The Irish Prime Minister agreed to meet with Fiona Doyle, “to hear her view, as a victim of unspeakable horror, as to a perspective on how a victim would see the court system working," he said.

Doyle said she was looking forward to her meeting next Wednesday with the Irish leader.

COMMENTS