An Antrim mother has spoken of her disgust after local people ignored her unconscious daughter when she collapsed at Fountain Street and shattered her ankle.
Anne Wilkinson spoke to the Antrim Guardian after her daughter spent a week in the Royal Victoria Hospital to get two pins put into the ankle which had been broken in two places.
Anne said she had been left 'speechless' when she heard that passers-by had left her daughter lying on the ground, even when she had regained consciousness and could see them walking past.
Janice Talbot had been doing her groceries in Tesco on Monday July 18 before walking home to Corbally Park around 4pm but the 43-year-old began to feel faint and sat down on the wall outside the Top of the Town bar to rest.
However, when she got to her feet to walk the rest of the way home to her flat, she fainted and doesn't remember how long she was lying before she came round.
“I just can't believe people could walk on past her when she was lying there," Anne said. “She saw them walking on past when she came to but goodness knows how many more ignored her when she was out of it."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
A 26-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and driving whilst unfit after a car crash in County Armagh last Saturday.
The crash happened at Drumintee Road in Meigh in the early hours of the morning.
A woman was taken to hospital for treatment for serious leg injuries.
Two other men and a woman was also hospitalized. Their injuries are not believed to be serious.
(Source: BBC News)
Irish police swooped in on three local members of the Real IRA in a major clampdown on dissident republicans in the county.
The major garda operation took place last Wednesday morning, arresting the three local men at various locations around the county.
The men were arrested under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act and held at Carlow and Thomastown garda stations last Wednesday for a period of 12 hours and, in some cases, longer.
During the raids, gardaí recovered a quantity of drugs, a substantial sum of cash and suspected firearms.
“The suspected firearms have been sent off for ballistic examinations and the results will be known shortly,” stated Sgt John Foley of Carlow Garda Station. He confirmed that the three men were arrested separately at both urban and rural locations in the county. The men are aged in their twenties, thirties and forties and are known to be actively involved in dissident republican activities.
A file is being sent to the DPP relating to all three men
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)
There has been an appeal for calm following the latest act of vandalism on one of the Quinn plants now under receivership. The latest attack last Saturday night, which saw valuable plant machinery and other vehicles set ablaze at the tarmac plant in Ballyconnell, is estimated to have cost hundreds of thousands of euro of damage. Three electricity poles near Kinawley were also cut down.
There have been more than a dozen serious incidents of vandalism connected to the businesses, formerly owned by Sean Quinn, since they were taken into receivership.
The ongoing vandalism is being investigated by the Gardaí at Ballyconnell and the PSNI in Fermanagh.
Vandals threatening jobs
A spokesman for the Quinn Group said: "The Quinn Group abhors the activities at the weekend which amount to an attack on the commercial interest of the company and therefore the security of jobs and employment in the area. It is incredible to think at this time of economic challenge there are some people who would deliberately set out to undermine the security of jobs of the employees of Quinn Group. We call on the perpetrators to immediately stop these actions."
The company is calling on anybody with knowledge of the perpetrators to report them to the authorities.
This wanton vandalism also been strongly condemned by local Sinn Féin councillor Damian Brady, who is also a member of the Ballyconnell Fire Brigade. He stressed that any continuation of this activity will lead to job losses. He has called on those responsible to desist immediately.
Operations were continuing at the tarmac plant last week, as normal, despite the attack.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)
After 102 years in existence, McInerney builders, founded by Clare farmer Thomas P McInerney, looks set to go into liquidation last week.
McInerney Holdings PLC is to hold an extraordinary general meeting last week where it is expected to ask shareholders to place it into liquidation.
In 2009, the company celebrated its centenary marking a long history in the trade that began with Thomas P McInerney building a house for a neighbor in O’Callaghan’s Mills.
Described as a farmer that was keen to provide a future for his family of five boys and three girls, Thomas P decided to go into house building and this led to a long-standing tradition that followed his “passion for excellence”.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: