\"Family

Family celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Hoboken, New Jersey Photo by: Google Images

Hoboken St. Patrick’s Day parade cancelled for the second year running in New Jersey - VIDEO

\"Family

Family celebrating St. Patrick's Day in Hoboken, New Jersey Photo by: Google Images

The news that Hoboken’s annual St. Patrick’s Day parade has been cancelled for the second year running will come as unwelcome news for local business owners, still recovering from Superstorm Sandy. However, Lepre-Con pub crawl, will still go ahead.

Last year Mayor Dawn Zimmer, dismayed at the number of arrests made and the out-of-control revelers at the St. Patrick’s Day parade, said the parade should be held on a Wednesday, rather than at the weekend, in an attempt to quash any disturbances.

Read more: Hoboken, NJ, cancels St. Patrick’s Day Parade after 26 years

However the parade organizers disagreed and despite the popularity of the parade it was cancelled.

For 25 years before last year’s cancellation the parade was held on a Saturday when families were all available to attend. Typically bars and restaurants opened as early as 8am, according to Fox News. Critics of the long running parade said the problem was not the parade itself but those who were partying around the clock.

However last year revelers took part in Lepre-Con, a pub crawl. Those taking part dress up as leprechauns or at least all in green and are expected to visit dozens of bars in the area on Saturday, March 2nd.

Read more: Hoboken residents plan ‘Lepre-Con’ celebrations to replace St. Patrick’s Day parade - POLL

Here’s the Fox News report:

 

New York News | NYC Breaking News

COMMENTS