The son of an Irish diplomat was identified as the victim of the horrendous incident which saw him decapitated by a Dublin bus last week. A deaf and mute man has been charged with manslaughter and appeared in court.
Eoghan Dudley (28) was killed when he was pushed under a commuter bus on the corner of Nassau Street and Dawson Street in Dublin’s City Center. His head was crushed by the front wheel of the bus in front of dozens of drivers and pedestrians.
The Herald reports that Dudley was the son of a senior official at the Department of Foreign Affairs. His mother is based in an Irish Embassy abroad.
His family said he was not drunk or taking drugs at the time of the accident. His father, Seamus, from Rathfarnham in south Dublin, told the local newspaper that his son “had his problems, but he was still human”.
It is believed that the altercation took place when Eoghan was asked for money while he was walking along the street. His father said, “He would have had no money except a couple of coins in his pocket.”
Twenty-nine-year-old Edward Connors, who is deaf and mute, appeared in court on Monday, charged with manslaughter.
The Irish Independent said Connors had said, “I am sorry, it was an accident.”
The police in Dublin took some time to identify Eoghan as he was not carrying identification and also due to the extent of his injuries. He was eventually identified when the details of his tattoos were released.
The proceedings in court on Monday were translated for Connors by a sign interpreter. When asked who he wanted to represent him he held out a business card. Connors, who resides in Dublin 7, did not apply for bail. His next hearing will take place at Cloverhill District Court, on December 13th.
Greatest quotes of Irish hero Michael Collins recalled