Broadcaster will not allow convicted rapist on TV

Larry Murphy

Ireland’s state broadcaster has ruled out a potential interview with convicted rapist Larry Murphy.

Murphy was released earlier this month after serving 10 years of a 15-year sentence for the brutal rape of a Carlow business woman.

Speculation grew that the premiere Friday night program the Late Late show hosted by Ryan Tubridy was in the running for the controversial interview after Tubridy said “of course” he would interview the convicted rapist.

Speaking in the wake of controversy the CEO of the Dublin rape crisis centre Ellen O'Malley-Dunlop said that victims of sexual assault need to be considered first and foremost. O’Malley told the Evening Hearld “I suppose The Late Late Show has always been a show that has helped inform society. A serial pedophile was interviewed on the show before. But I think those kinds of interviews must be considered very carefully”.

After much criticism by public and political figures the state broadcaster RTE has said that it has no intension of inviting the freed rapist onto the show.

On his morning 2FM show yesterday, 37-year-old Tubridy told listeners: “I think it is probably safe to say that he [Murphy] won't be a guest on the Late Late Show and I would be shocked if he was.”