US schools plan to phase out potatoes - deems it a less healthy vegetable
Agricultural Department is attempting to phase out the humble spud – RECIPES
Allow the milk to warm but not boil – it is about right when the butter has fully melted into it and it’s starting to steam.
With a potato masher or a fork, mash the potatoes thoroughly into the butter/milk mixture. Do NOT pass through a ricer or, worse, beat in a mixer as it will make the potatoes gluey and disgusting.
Mix the cabbage thoroughly through the mashed potato.
Before serving, season with a little salt and sprinkle with fresh parsley or chives. Most importantly, make a well in the centre of the mound of potato and put the last third of the butter in there to melt.
Potato Cake or Boxty
1 cup raw, grated potatoes
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (about) milk to mix
Butter or oil for frying
Place the grated raw potatoes in a clean cloth and twist to remove excess moisture.
Whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine flour mixture into raw potatoes, mashed potatoes, and eggs. Add enough mix to make a batter.
Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat and add butter or oil. Drop potato batter by the tablespoon into the hot pan. Brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side).
Butter each boxty and serve hot with or without sugar.
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...