Top ten biggest news stories on IrishCentral in 2012
From the US presidential election to the Catholic Church and Hurricane Sandy
After a year of news dominated by the London Olympics, the US Presidential Election, international financial crisis, Hurricane Sandy, and most recently the Newtown massacre, we took a step back and looked at which news stories have been most popular on IrishCentral this year.
Here’s the rundown:
1. We reveal what secret Donald Trump is planning to announce about Barack Obama
Just days before the United States Presidential election, billionaire property man Donald Trump made a dramatic announcement declaring he had secrets about Barack Obama. Turns out he was yet again on a “birther” trip. Although this story certainly grasped our readers' curiosity, even his own children cringed.
2. Murdered Irish student’s heartbreaking text to mother -- friend remembers little of tragic night
In July news of the tragic murder of Irish student Nicola Furlong in Tokyo emerged. Furlong and her friend were attacked after a night out at a Nicki Minaj concert. Two Americans, a backing dancer, James Blackston (23) and a musician, Larry Perry (19) were charged. The court case is ongoing.
Irish priests vowed to defy new legislation which would force them to report details of sexual abuse revealed in the confessional box. This April, despite the 10-year jail sentence, the 800-strong Association of Catholic Priests said they would flout the law if it was introduced.
Dubliner Zak Gilsenan and his family have moved to Spain after the nine-year-old was snapped up by the European soccer kingpins Barcelona. Zak will follow in the footsteps of his favourite player Lionel Messi and Spanish Euro 2012 winners Xavi and Iniesta at the famous FCBEscola football academy.
5. New sonar images show Titanic in its ocean grave 100 years on – PHOTOS
New sonar images show the sunken Titanic 12,500 feet below sea level. April’s edition of the National Geographic Magazine featured these images for the first time to honor the centenary of the tragic ship’s sinking.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
i never heard the slang donkey must be american some of the other yes but we dont use slang in ireland to describe ourselves we are irish northern soRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
@molliepmac: What does "fiscal impact" mean exactly? In any event, my concern is for individuals and I firmly believe that the Irish abroadIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
WoubdedKnee - Well said. You do get to the point!Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Barry - Why do we seem to have more sympathy for the Irish? Because they are our own people!