Three more Irish Bishops expected to offer resignation over child sex abuse scandal
Tension flares as Bishops contradict each other
- News / Irish Catholic Bishop Moriarty resigns to Pope Benedict / Click here
- News / Ultimatum to four Irish Catholic bishops: Quit or be fired by Vatican / Click here
- News update / Government demands nationwide probe of Irish Catholic Church, diocese by diocese / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd / Pedophile inquiry needed in every dicoese in Ireland / Click here
- News / Irish Catholic bishops now battling each other / Click here
- Father Tim / Irish Catholic Church is imploding / Click here
Three more Bishops are under pressure to resign after Bishop James Moriarty offered his resignation to Pope Benedict on Wednesday. The three bishops in question were severely criticized in the Murphy report for taking no action against the pedophiles priests who took advantage of the most vulnerable in their congregation.
It has also become evident in recent days that there is massive tension between the remaining bishops under scrutiny and the Archbishop of Dubin, Desmond Martin who has publicly clashed with them.
The current Dublin Auxiliary Bishops Eamonn Walsh, and Bishop Ray Field and Bishop of Galway Martin Drennan were appointed to their positions in the 19990's. The Murphy report found that they covered up evidence of sexual abuse by pedophile priests and failed to help the victims of the abuse.
Last night Archbishop Diarmuid Martin issued a statement outlining his position on the situation. An earlier statement from Bishop Walsh said that Archbishop Martin supported the remaining auxiliary Bishops. He supposedly said so at a meeting with the clergy of the Archdiocese in the Citywest on December 12th.
However Archbishop Martin denied that he gave full support to the Bishops in question. A spokesperson for the Archbishop told the Irish Times that, "When asked at the Citywest gathering of priests if he had confidence in his priests and auxiliary bishops, he replied that he had confidence in the ministry they were carrying out."
Archbishop Martin, "clearly noted, however, that with regard to the auxiliary bishops, he is still evaluating their positions regarding the manner in which they addressed the question of accountability for the implications of the Murphy report”.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
Did any body notice how quick Independent.ie pulled all the negative comments about past & present corrupt politicians that ruined Ireland ?? EndaGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
You cannot be a teacher in today's world without caring deeply for the welfare of the next generation and supporting the education systems we work inGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
Love is love Chuck and it should be enjoyed by all, even you. I said the Catholic church, I don't know what you read, God only knows what is in your lThe mystery of Celtic and Irish symbols
The Tri-Colour was created by Thomas Meagher (Meagher of The Sword)1847? Native,Peace, New Comers.