Three beached whales discovered on Irish coast over holidays
Irish Whale and Dolphin Group say there’s no cause for concern
Three whales and a dolphin have been found beached on the Irish coast in recent weeks.
The latest discovery occurred on Thursday when a male sperm whale was found on Omey Island near Cleggan, Co Galway, the Belfast Telegraph reports.
The mammal was already dead when it washed up, it had shed its skin and its lower jaw was broken.
Simon Berrow of the Irish Whale and Dolphin Group (IWDG) said it was common to have strandings such as these.
More offbeat stories from IrishCentral
"Chances are it died offshore and got washed in with the wind," he said.
The IWDG had also recently received reports of a bottle nose whale found in Co. Clare, a pilot whale on Fintra Beach in Donegal, and a dolphin in Co. Galway. All were dead upon discovery, Berrow said.
To report a stranding off the Irish coast to ISDG click here.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
And those cheap industrial "chocolate" diamonds!Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
Pat123: Very good observation. We should judge a person by what they accomplish not by the labels put upon on them.The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
I wonder less about the possibility of everyone having equal incomes than those who do nothing but get huge federal subsidies anyway. Check out some rOffensive NFL sign outside restaurant just a symptom of a larger problem
Excellent, useless, reporting, Cormac. I say we round up these blue-eyed devils and put 'em all in a Paddy Wagon and run 'em out of town. Unless they