The top ten Irish power-brokers in the American media
From liberals like Maureen Dowd to conservatives like Sean Hannity
The press. They can make or break Presidents — and just about anybody else in Washington, the seat of power in American politics. But who are the Irish power-brokers in the American media on the cusp of a new decade? For the first time, we name them.
1. New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd — Still the queen of the stiletto in the ribs with a smile on her face. Simply the best columnist in the business.
2. Obama press secretary Robert Gibbs — The most important Southern Irishman since Bill Clinton, and just as smooth. Credited with doing a super job with the fractious Washington press corps.
3. NBC anchor Brian Williams — Took over almost seamlessly from Tom Brokaw in contrast to the fun and games at other networks. Irish Catholic background from New Jersey.
4. Fox News' Bill O'Reilly — For Fox, he's the gift that keeps on giving. The relentless O'Reilly is watching Glenn Beck in his rear-view mirror, but he is still the king of talk TV.
5. Fox News' Sean Hannity — Perhaps edging toward a political career, but lacks O'Reilly's softer edge and comes across as too strident. But still, a huge player in cable news.
6. "Hardball" host Chris Matthews — Took a look at politics but kept himself sane by staying where he is. Still the best at hard-nose interviews despite his sometimes too-obvious Obama fetish.
7. NBC political reporter Kelly O'Donnell — One of the best political reporters around. A woman to reckon with when the story is down to the wire.
8. Commentator Pat Buchanan — Slipping down the list, but still a force.
9. MSNBC chief Washington correspondent Norah O'Donnell — In an increasingly important political network, she has the smarts to go all the way.
10. NBC contributor Lawrence O'Donnell — Clearly, NBC is the "O'Donnell Network." Smart, hard-hitting contributor who adds greatly to the network's political coverage.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
You cannot be a teacher in today's world without caring deeply for the welfare of the next generation and supporting the education systems we work inGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
Love is love Chuck and it should be enjoyed by all, even you. I said the Catholic church, I don't know what you read, God only knows what is in your lThe mystery of Celtic and Irish symbols
The Tri-Colour was created by Thomas Meagher (Meagher of The Sword)1847? Native,Peace, New Comers.Nelson Mandela showed us all what could be when good men rule
Sean: Good point and those work at home scans. I found a Facebook page: "Irish Around Melbourne" Slan, "Steve"