The final moments of Senator Ted Kennedy
'Everyone was very stoic in an Irish kind of way'
- Video / Fr.Tarrant describes the final hours of Ted Kennedy's life / Click here
- Blog / Father Tim / Rest in peace
- Photos/ Ted Kennedy in Ireland / Click here
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
The last moments of Senator Edward Kennedy were recalled today by Paul Hill, who is married to Robert Kennedy's daughter Courtney.
Hill said that as Kennedy lay dying, the last sound he would have heard would have been his grandchildren splashing in the waters of Nantucket Sound outside his Hyannis Port home.
Poignantly, Kennedy died in the same room where he sang "My Wild Irish Rose," to his mother Rose as she lay dying.
Belfast-born Hill said: "It was exactly how Teddy wanted it, the cries of the next generation of Kennedys playing happily where he had spent the best days of his life, sailing on the sound. I'm sure he could hear them. It was a fitting way to die.”
He said the family patriarch did not suffer.”He appeared comfortable and without pain. It was really a blessed leaving."
After being given the last rites by Irish priest father Gerald Tarrant, Kennedy's last words were that he was ready to move on.
At the end, Hill said, the grandchildren gathered outside while Vickie his wife, Kara his daughter and Teddy junior gathered at his bedside for the final moments.
His other son Patrick was unable to make it back from Washington in time.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- 'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
The ACA is working hard to ensure that all Americans have access to healthcare. How can any society think it is advanced if it does not provide healIreland PM - IRA-Garda collusion in murders of RUC officers is 'shocking'
At least Adams owes his allegiance to Ireland and not to a foreign power.The IRA did not need garda collusion for murders - ex-tribunal investigator
Agreed. The professionalism and bravery of the volunteers has hardly had a mention.Notre Dame sues federal government again over birth control
Tandoori Nights, the troll and bigot. If the US government wants people to have birth control, the government should provide it instead of trying to m