Thanksgiving – a piece of America that Ireland should embrace
Somehow I like that. I like talking about Thanksgiving. I want people here to know about it. In fact, I think it would be great if Ireland took up the tradition.
Who doesn't need a day to take a time out from all the hustle and bustle? A day with no cards, no gifts, no nothing other than time? Time to reflect? What's not to like? And this year, possibly as much as any in the lifetime of anyone alive here today, Irish people could use such a break. It's bad here, but we still live in a safe and relatively wealthy country. We still have quite a bit to be thankful for. It's not Somalia.
Me? I'll be picking up our turkey later this evening and the whole family will sit down to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow afternoon (after school - life's tough for some). My stomach and I can hardly wait.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Originally published in Nov 2009.
More Thanksgiving stories and recipes from IrishCentral
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
It seems that if Mr. Cardosi had any compassion at all for his birth mother and what she went through, he would at least make a token effort to be &quBaby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital as father calls for inquest
OMG !!!! What a nightmare !!!! Those poor parents, may God help them through this tradegy. Pending Medical Examiner report, I reserve my opinion.Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
The proper meaning of the adjective "gay" is "happy and carefree" or "festive" (as in the lyrics to "Deck the HallsNelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
Seanomelb, branagh and I are carrying out an adult debate. Were you never taught that children are to seen, not heard? Go away now. branagh, the plane