The lion in winter
Iconic Irish American last lion in the Senate
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- News / Tributes pour in for the late Ted Kennedy / Click here
- News / Lion of the Senate is dead / Click here
- News / Undocumented Irish say farewell / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
- Comment / Senator Edward Kennedy - The lion in winter / Click here
- Comment / Niall O'Dowd - Why Teddy picked Obama / Click here
- Roots / The Irish Kennedys / Click here
- Roots/ Irish America magazine 1997 interview with Ted Kennedy / Click here
Back in 1994, I had the pleasure of accompanying Senator Edward Kennedy on a campaign whistle-stop tour during his Senate re-election race in Massachusetts. I was the only journalist on the trip, and it was just the three of us plus an aide for much of the time until his wife, Vicki, joined us.
It was a fraught time for Kennedy. A relative unknown called Mitt Romney was threatening to pull off the impossible and defeat the incumbent senator in the state that had given birth to the Kennedy legend.
It was a time when Newt Gingrich was king and Kennedy was portrayed widely in the right-wing media as a liberal whose time had come and gone, “big, fat and out of date” as one pundit put it.
The Kennedy I saw was very different. He had all the old-time fervor of his beloved grandfather, Honey Fitz, former mayor of Boston and the ability to connect with voters that is a unique Kennedy trait.
He knew everyone, and I mean everyone. From the doorman in the buildings we visited to the lady making the tea in the cafeteria, he knew first names, family tree, where the son in the army was serving.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
"RECOVERY" My Arse The Country is in so much debt just about paying interest while borrowing 1 bl per month They have just been caught robbiThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
A bit of sleight of hand, I think. Rather than look into cleaning up the economy in the US, they'd rather try to find someone worse off. I wonder if tOffensive NFL sign outside restaurant just a symptom of a larger problem
Hi Chuck, if we get rid of red, what will Carl Rove do? After all it was his idea to associate red with the Republican Party.How Christmas was in my father’s time
I don't mean to be rude but I am aghast as to why your Father walked barefoot in the middle of Winter & also such a distance as every small villag