Restaurant chief says Good Friday alcohol ban damaging Easter tourism in Ireland
19th century traditions bad for business in the 21st century, claims Restaurant Association of Ireland
Tradition is well and good until you look at the sales receipts. That's the message coming from the Restaurant Association of Ireland, who are arguing that the time has come to lift the ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday.
According to the Irish Examiner, under the Intoxicating Liquor Act, Irish bars and restaurants are not be allowed serve alcoholic beverages on that day.
But in 2009, a Galway District Judge said prosecuting restaurants that offered wine with meals on Good Friday was 'ludicrous.'
Adrian Cummins, Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland, agrees adding that the ban is damaging for the tourism industry:
'This is an archaic law dating back to the 19th century and as a progressive society and one that is trying to promote tourism, this has to be overturned.
'We need to have a more progressive law.'
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
Ah yes, Jesus, Mary and St. Joseph!!! And my friends would tell me my parents had the cutest accent. What accent? They don't have an accent! Also,Katherine Webb and the morbid depths of US sports 'journalism'
I find it funny how "DaddyMac22" is in fact Cormac the afterbirth but he refuses to identify himself properly. Ashamed, no doubt, of his ownGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
I don't really care about baking, what caught my eye is the typical radical liberal notion that anyone who disagrees with your position is a bigot.Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital as father calls for inquest
monsters in that apartheid sliver of death.