Restaurant chief says Good Friday alcohol ban damaging Easter tourism in Ireland
19th century traditions bad for business in the 21st century, claims Restaurant Association of Ireland
Tradition is well and good until you look at the sales receipts. That's the message coming from the Restaurant Association of Ireland, who are arguing that the time has come to lift the ban on the sale of alcohol on Good Friday.
According to the Irish Examiner, under the Intoxicating Liquor Act, Irish bars and restaurants are not be allowed serve alcoholic beverages on that day.
But in 2009, a Galway District Judge said prosecuting restaurants that offered wine with meals on Good Friday was 'ludicrous.'
Adrian Cummins, Chief Executive of the Restaurants Association of Ireland, agrees adding that the ban is damaging for the tourism industry:
'This is an archaic law dating back to the 19th century and as a progressive society and one that is trying to promote tourism, this has to be overturned.
'We need to have a more progressive law.'
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
Curitiba, You ask me "what's the massive difference?" between English and Irish people (in support of your argument that "Ireland is aThe perfect gift for Christmas, a stay at an Irish hotel
I know of one very Irish guest house operated by an Irish couple in Connecticut, near my wife's hometown. She and I have spent a few nights there arouNelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
You should hear in the USA the right wng extremists calling Nelson Mandela all kinds of names and insults...........Why because he is black. These riVirginia governor slammed by doctor over plain cigarette pack rejection
YOur welcome to smoke - and take a decade off you life from lung cancer, throat cancer, nicotine scaring the arteries which provides places where pla