Rebekah Brooks quits as attention turns to claims News International hacked 9/11 phones
Murdoch’s top executive in Britain resigns a week after News of the World closure
Rebekah Brooks has resigned as chief executive of Rupert Murdoch’s News International as suspicion grows that phones were hacked belonging to victims of the 9/11 atrocity.
Brooks finally paid the price for the News of the World phone tapping scandal when she resigned on Friday morning, over a week after Murdoch announced the closure of Britain’s biggest selling Sunday newspaper.
The news broke after the FBI confirmed it is investigation claims that News International may have hacked into phones in the wake of the attacks on Ground Zero.
Brooks, Murdoch’s most senior executive in Britain, made her decision public in a memo to News International staff on Friday morning.
She was editor of the New of the World at the time of some of the phone hacking operations and has been called to appear before a British parliament enquiry along with Murdoch and his son James.
Rupert Murdoch's men hacked into Gerry Adams' phone too - Adams visa conversation published in London Sunday Times
In the internal memo, Brooks said: “I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the crisis that erupted last week and resulted in the closure of News International’s News of the World tabloid.
“I have given Rupert and James Murdoch my resignation. While it has been a subject of discussion, this time my resignation has been accepted.
“As Chief Executive of the company, I feel a deep sense of responsibility for the people we have hurt and I want to reiterate how sorry I am for what we now know to have taken place.
“I have believed that the right and responsible action has been to lead us through the heat of the crisis. However my desire to remain on the bridge has made me a focal point of the debate.
“This is now detracting attention from all our honest endeavors to fix the problems of the past.”
The FBI has confirmed that it is examining allegations that Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation may have tried to hack into the phone records of victims of the September 11th attacks in 2001.
US Attorney-General Eric Holder said the investigation followed requests from members of the US Congress and will utilize the appropriate federal law enforcement agencies.
Senior Democratic Party Congressman Peter King, who represents an area in New York where many victims lived, believes the allegations have to be investigated.
“We are aware of the allegations and we are looking into it,” confirmed a spokeswoman told AFP from the FBI’s offices in New York.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
You should hear in the USA the right wng extremists calling Nelson Mandela all kinds of names and insults...........Why because he is black. These riVirginia governor slammed by doctor over plain cigarette pack rejection
YOur welcome to smoke - and take a decade off you life from lung cancer, throat cancer, nicotine scaring the arteries which provides places where plaAn open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
I'm not caht but he's a great guy, especially compared to his past extremist right wing German pope As for capitalism, in the USA, the gap between thGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
I've dealt with these kind of people, typically evangelists / southern baptists /born agains To put it simply they believe that every word in the bib