Priest slams sale of Jesus Halloween costumes as 'distasteful and unacceptable'
Catholic priest says respect for religious beliefs ‘is central to modern society’
The Catholic priest made the remarks after Halloween HQ, which has 10 outlets across seven cities, included Jesus costumes in their horror section. Priced at €35 ($47. 33), the costume includes a white robe, red drape, wig, beard, and a "soft crown of thorns."
Fr Tom Deenihan, the diocesan secretary at the Diocese of Cork and Ross said respect for religious beliefs "is central to modern society."
There would be "uproar" he said, "if other religious figures were depicted in this way," he told the Irish Examiner.
Fr Deenihan said: "The celebrations of the Feasts of All Saints [All Hallows] on Nov 1 and commemoration of the faithful departed a day later, are times when people visit cemeteries to remember and pray for their dead."
He added: "It is truly regrettable and sad that, for commercial purposes, the death of Christ and these dates should be used to ridicule the Passion of Christ and reduce it to a horror costume."
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
yes, a male hetero makes a career of baking cakes and then gives shade to a gay couple wanting him to bake them a cake for their ceremony. That's ricNew evidence emerges on death of Irish hero Michael Collins in IRA ambush - VIDEO
was a scene in the film " the treaty" where Brendan Gleason as collins said that although we werent going to be a great power,we could makeNelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning its arms during 2000 talks
Mandela would have sold his Soul to have kept the support of the Western Media. The Republican Irish were not fighting Racist Apartheid; They were wagGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
Lol, check out the comments below. The rural culchies and donkeys are getting their panties in a bunch over this. Bocktherobber takes the cake though,