Presidential candidate Dana Rosemary Scallon vows to continue campaign
Describes allegations against family as ‘malicious lies’
Dana Rosemary Scallon has said she will not step down from the presidential campaign, over the sexual abuse allegations which have surfaced regarding a member of her family.
The Independent candidate surprised viewers on Wednesday night, during an RTE presidential debate when she made an impromptu statement regarding the allegations.
Speaking on the RTE show she said, “Let it be known that lawyers have already been instructed to forensically investigate a particular communication that spread this vile false allegation which attempts to implicate me and destroy my good character.”
Court documents seen by IrishCentral.com revealed that Dana’s brother-in-law, Dr Ronald Stein, made allegations while under oath that John Brown, Dana’s brother and campaign advisor, had sexually abused Stein’s daughter for over a decade.
In an interview with TV3 News, Dana described the allegations as "malicious lies".
The Derry-born candidate said she had been approached by a freelance journalist in Ireland, who threatened to publish the allegations. As a result, she felt the need to address the issue during the Prime Time debate.
She also told TV3 she had received an anonymous email threatening her.
"I had received an anonymous email on the Saturday night. It wasn't signed," she said.
"I won't be able to share all that was in the mail. It said, 'Hahahahaha the b**** is finally getting what she deserves' and went on from there to make false accusations."
Despite much speculation that she was about to withdraw from the campaign, she vowed to continue.
To watch the full interview with Dana on TV3 New click here.
Full text of a statement released by Dana Rosemary Scallon on Friday evening, following allegations regarding members of her family.
“A most despicable and malicious campaign of hatred is currently being directed at myself and my family.
I brought this into the public domain for the following reason; last week I was falsely accused of being a part of a deceptive cover-up regarding my Irish/ US dual citizenship, which I subsequently proved to be untrue on presentation of my citizenship certificate. Before I produced the citizenship certificate, I received a malicious email which began ‘HAHAHAHAHAH – The bitch finally gets what she deserves’. I will not repeat further details of the email which goes on to threaten the release of further malicious and untrue allegations and also attempts to implicate me.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Cork mother grieves for husband, son and...
There is such a thing as a falkland islander ,or a gibralterian or a socalled Ulsterman but on closer examination they are (by choice) overseas englisNotre Dame sues federal government again over birth control
Nobody has explained why the rights of the employer outweigh those of the employee. Millions of Americans opposed the war in Iraq and the senseless deCaroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals a new and much happier woman
I hope she learns a fair amount of Japanese. I remember seeing the movie "Passport to Paris' starring the Olson twins, and "Taken", wiSmithwick inquiry finds Irish police may have colluded in two IRA murders
Of course, no calls for any investigations or punishment for the atrocities against numerous unarmed non-combatants, including children, at Ballymurph