Potatoes increase risk of cancer recurrence
New study shows carbs linked to new tumors
Potatoes can increase the return of breast cancer, a new study has found.
Foods with high starch content such as potatoes, bread and rice were linked to new tumors in a recent study presented at the CTRC-AACR San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium in Texas.
As part of their research scientists studied the diets of 2,651 breast cancer survivors, with a special focus on carbs over twelve months.
The rate of reoccurance among women who increased their starch intake was 14.2 percent.
In contrast those who decreased their starch consumption saw a 9.7 percent recurrence rate.
"The results show that it's not just overall carbohydrates, but particularly starch," said researcher Jennifer Emond, from the University of California at San Diego, US.
Top ten Christmas jokes guaranteed to make the cat laugh
"Women who increased their starch intake over one year were at a much likelier risk for recurring."
All participants were enrolled in the Women's Healthy Eating and Living (Whel) Dietary Intervention Trial, which examines the effect of healthy eating on breast cancer survivors.
Baroness Delyth Morgan, Chief Executive, Breast Cancer Campaign said, “This study suggests that reducing starch consumption could possibly reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence.
“However, it is too early to make dietary recommendations based on these results and we therefore welcome further investigations into this interesting area.”
According to The National Breast Cancer Research Institute (NBCRI), up to 2000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in Ireland each year.
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are...
- Young people worst affected by Ireland’s...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- Disgraced Cardinal Keith O’Brien leaves Scotlan