Pope sends 'pastoral letter' to Ireland amid protests from Irish Church abuse victims
"As you know," he told them, "in recent months, the Church in Ireland has been severely shaken by the crisis of child abuse. As a token of my deep concern, I have written a pastoral letter to address this painful situation. I will sign it on the Solemnity of St. Joseph, guardian of the Holy Family and patron of the universal Church, and send it immediately. I ask that you read it yourselves, with an open heart and in a spirit of faith."
Irish bishops were summoned to the Vatican in February to discuss the crisis caused by the child abuse revelations and ensuing cover-up. The Vatican announced that Benedict was working on the pastoral letter shortly after the meeting.
A top Vatican official, Archbishop Rino Fisichella, said the Pope's pastoral letter would contain "specific measures" on how Church institutions and communities, not just in Ireland, should deal with cases of pedophile priests as well as other forms of abuse.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
Cuireann Niall in iúl dúinn go raibh an Ghaelige á labhairt ag a athair, and we know that most people in the Dingle Peninsula spNo Irish prosecution for man named as world’s largest child porn kingpin
God, can you intervene here to do some justice ?The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
Sensational rather than thoughtful. Any one person can be found to claim that he shoots pigeons or any other unfortunate creature just to live. The eNo surprise as Pope Francis named Time Person of the Year 2013
Can we gather from the 3rd paragraph that this pope is about to approve of abortion and same-sex marriage?